1950 Parachute Leg Case for Garand

BryanJ

You don’t see too many of these cases, so thought I’d post with a correct grade H&R.  Stencil on one side seems to be 82 ABN DIV.

D31EC9CE-AF25-4213-B07F-FE520D8004D6.jpeg

7577B75C-7E83-402F-9714-F5B398AD52C9.jpeg

9D3F145E-3821-4E4C-8837-B3E3074B89DC.jpeg

7B03FA93-2DD3-4314-BA19-D1EE10920680.jpeg

Very Nice! Great looking M-1 also. Am I reading the date code correctly as being dated 1981? 

Thanks for posting it.

BKW

On 1/27/2021 at 8:44 PM, Brian Keith said:

Very Nice! Great looking M-1 also. Am I reading the date code correctly as being dated 1981? 

Thanks for posting it.

BKW

Looks like a late issue. DLA (Defense Logistics Agency) also started around 1978 I recall and used til 1993 and replaced the DSA prefix used earlier.

BryanJ- Just a suggestion, but the M1950 Weapons containers tended to hold sand inside from various drop zones on Ft Bragg.  I would avoid placing a nice M1 inside. That's from personal experience from 5 years in the 82nd ABN. We used them with M16s, and they would be covered in sand no matter how much you tried to clean the containers out. Personally, I hated jumping with the containers.  SKIP

Skip.  Thanks for the info.  I’ve never fired the Garand in the photo.  I believe the rifle was test fired and never issued.  It will definitely not go in the bag.  But out of curiosity, I’m going to check the bag for sand.  

I have one of those, and around North Carolina/Fort Bragg they turn-up fairly regularly.  As for sand and one's feeling about those cases, I have to share Skips feelings.  Fortunately, I only had to jump a couple of times with one in Ranger school (not to mention Jump School).  When I jumped at Fort Bragg, I was issued an M9.

One other comment; compared to the original Griswold case, these at least kept the Garand in one piece.  How would you like to jump into a sandy drop zone and then have to put the Garand back together.

Charlie Flick

Here is one that I had in my collection for some years.  I don't recall what the specific markings were on it.  It took up so much space that I ended up selling it to a guy who, as I recall, collected post-war Garands.

Charlie

M1951JumpCase.jpg

M1951JumpCase2.jpg

Ranger Joes actually sold some NOS ones in the early 2000s which I bought 1.  I think it had a 1977 date on it, came with the detachable metal snap but had no drop line.   I also recall some newer ones of these being sold in huge numbers from Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet when they were still in business a few years ago.  I was in their warehouse/walk in store and they had triwalls full of them for cheap.  They were a lighter green color made of nylon and I think the insides were updated with some kind of plasticized like interior.