WWII practice grenade

teekay44

My Grandfather brought this home in WWII (USMC)  I would play with it in the 60's!  The fuse body is early.  The markings on the body are 29 on one side and I over an M on the other.  The spoon which is short has M10E1 on it.  I can't find any information on it.  Of course being a practice grenade it could have been cobbled together. Could anyone enlighten me on this?  Manufacturer? Era? This is the piece that started me on Collecting so long ago!

0127211854.jpg

0127211854a.jpg

0127211855a.jpg

0127211855b.jpg

Persian Gulf Command

Its a very nice grenade but the fuse is what I like the most.  The blue color is odd and looks as if it was painted by someone other than the manufacturer.  Practice grenades during this time between the wars were actually red.  The cut back fuse and spoon marked as M101E is an indication of its between war manufacture.  

Here is the full picture of the fuse.  It came from New River NC so I would suspect it was painted there.   Thank you for the information 

0127211943.jpg

Persian Gulf Command

Be very careful with this fuse!!!     There is a possibility that the fuse may still be live.  It dies not appear to be "cooked off".  

Filler hole which is threaded.  And the blue paint was on it when he got it at New River NC when he was there in the Marines early in WWII. (He helped open the base up).  So he told me.   So it is a good bet it was applied by the Marines. 

Persian Gulf Command
30 minutes ago, teekay44 said:

Filler hole which is threaded.  And the blue paint was on it when he got it at New River NC when he was there in the Marines early in WWII. (He helped open the base up).  So he told me.   So it is a good bet it was applied by the Marines. 

Thanks for the additional information.  It will be interesting if anyone else has a WW2 period grenade in that deep blue color.

Nothing scientific here, just my own opinions, but here are my practice grenades from WWI to WWII in the order I believe they belong. By the way teekay44, that M10 E1 fuse is great!

practice1.jpg