WWII USAAF Flight Helmets and Related Accessories

dmar836

Radio Operator

It's looks more black than blue to me here's a better picture of one of the sides. The only theories I have is that it's a post war thing done by a surplus store as I've read WW2 flak helmets can sometimes have post war stickers with swastikas on the ear flaps or its a kill/B-17 marking but I have no evidence to back either. 

IMG_7661.jpg

Or a Patriotic crew put Red White and Blue on his helmet!! Not in the correct orientation of course

Or a Frenchmen got a hold of it.

The paint has some age to it and I wouldn't mind having it in my collection!!!!

It makes for a great display piece and I'm REALLY glad to hear your got a B-6 with earcups.

Is it big enough to wear?????

You know how I like to wear mine!!!!!LOL!!!

Semper Fi

Phil 

That is an AWESOME set up P-59A. Very Impressive gear collection.

It was worth using 1 of my 3 LIKE's a day ration!!!

Yeah I'm 6'2", So not finding many of those items in my size. lol!! So I stick with flight helmets and Ex-LARGE is just right!!!

That was prep for watching 'Into The Cold Blue"

2116305101_ColdBluesetup11.jpg.affca7c0b8782809b9a5a693dea5837b.jpg

Semper Fi

Phil

Grabbed it at Facebook flight jacket page:

Amos “Hess” Bomberger II is a 97 year-old fighter pilot who served in World War II. He’s living at Lanier Village Estates in Gainesville and still has his entire fighter pilot uniform.

The helmet, though faded, still has the same blue and red diamond pattern that was on the nose of his plane he flew as part of the Eighth Air Force in the 1940s.

It still has the microphone attached to one side. The oxygen mask is still connected, lined with felt he added because it used to burn him around the mouth. The goggles are still there, too, with white, hand-painted edges.

The brown leather jacket, outfitted with patches from different crews he flew with, like the 356th Fighter Group and 361st Fighter Squadron, still fits and looks to be in pretty good shape, decades after it was retired. Bomberger even designed one of the patches himself. That jacket has oversized pockets in the lining — the left side held a flare, the right held food and cigarettes. - photos by Scott Rogers"

image.png.ecd294c5884ec9923e602c71ba974644.png

image.png.756c0eed9af40defb30d06ba96a3499b.png

image.png.0df14fd826359304c73fa33586c876da.png

enjoy,

Jerry

That is great he still has his flight gear!!!!

I like the custom job on the flight helmet. So is that an A-11?

Thanks for sharing that photo of the Warrior in his golden years!!!

Semper Fi

Phil