WW I earned Silver Star

Brian Keith

I don’t think I’ve ever posted this WW I earned Silver Star. I found it at a flea market in Ohio in the early 1980’s. Research from years ago found a Roy Lockwood of Zanesville, OH. Who served in Co. M, 18th Infantry, WW I. Saw combat at the Meuse-Argonne Campaign, Cited for Gallantry in Action. Today I Found on Find-A-Grave:

Roy A Lockwood

Birth 27 Aug 1894 

Death 5 Jul 1974 (aged 79) 

Burial: Southern Cemetery, Barnesville, Belmont County, Ohio, USA  

Memorial ID 183272782

Barnesville is about 30 miles from Zanesville.

This is probably a BB&B made example, #6791.

Any other info anyone can provide would be very welcome!

Thanks for looking,

BKW

P1270276.JPG

P1270277.JPG

P1270278.JPG

P1270281.JPG

Lockwood, Roy.jpg

Here is a different Roy Lockwood with a different DOB but was living in Barnesville when he registered for the WW1 draft.

download (28).png

Thanks for you comments Blacksmith and for the additional information Tomomachi. Clearly, the card you posted is the same Lockwood who I found on Find-A-Grave. It also states the same unit information as I was given years ago. What do the letters and numbers on the right side of the card indicate? Now, I sure would like confirm the award of the SS. It is interesting that there was another man by the same name in that smaller community.

Thanks for helping me document this soldiers history!

BKW

dhcoleterracina

You should get the award card for the medal. I usually have to ask one of the researchers here. Inexpensive to do. That will allow you to identify the unit and date of the award.  

1 hour ago, dhcoleterracina said:

You should get the award card for the medal. I usually have to ask one of the researchers here. Inexpensive to do. That will allow you to identify the unit and date of the award.  

dhcoleterracina is spot on...getting the Award Card is your next step.  

That said, I think there is a strong likelihood that it will confirm the Roy Lockwood that served in the 18th Infantry Regiment, because another clue is the 1st ID gave out a lot of Silver Stars.  However, sometimes there are surprises, and there can be multiple recipients with the same name.  Getting the Award Card will settle it.    

1 hour ago, Brian Keith said:

Thanks for the additional comments folks!

BKW

Brian - he was cited for valor on a blanket award for the M-A, see below.  General Orders of the 5th Infantry Brigade dated 6/1/1919.

2021-01-27_13-25-49.jpg.48fdde9e475a09a7ec6f430f064181bd.jpg

2021-01-27_13-28-46.jpg.122308722568da8b117324297f62c229.jpg

Looks like he was a replacement into the 18th in October, saw the last month of fighting. 

2021-01-27_13-35-17.jpg.08c9ec2f5fc5b494cd156aafddb984dd.jpg

Excellent additional information AustinO! Really ties everything together, same ASN, born, Richmond, IN.  The Registration Card Tomomachi posted is the same guy, but for some reason, the DOB is a year off. As UncleGrumpy said: "the 1st ID gave out a lot of Silver Stars". 

Thanks for everyone's assistance, glad you all could help pin him down and glad you enjoyed seeing this WW I SS. 

Best regards!

BKW

3 hours ago, Ivydiv said:

Great piece from a local Ohioan. Thanks for posting. Dave

I second that.  Always nice to see items from an Ohioan.  From the research provided by AustinO I would assume Pvt Lockwood was an individual replacement reassigned to the 18th Infantry to make up casualty losses in the 1st Division.  The 84th Div (including the 334th Inf) was skeletonized in early October 1918 and 10,000 men including the division's infantry and machinegun units were used as replacements for the AEF divisions then in action.

Thanks for posting it.

Dennis

Thanks for your comments and addition information Ivy and Bert. I thought you guys were Buckeyes? :) I actually had to go up near Detroit today and spent a few road hours in NW Ohio.

BKW

• 2 weeks later...

Zanesville is my hometown.

Nice find!

There were a significant number of men in the 83rd and 84th Divs that wound up as replacements for the 1st and 91st Divisions.  

My very first "grouping" of stuff was for a local 16th Infantry replacement.  Back in the day, stuff from those divisions used to turn up regularly.

Beautiful medal. He fought the good fight.   The fact that he had no kids explains why it ended up in a flea market after his widow died.  But it ended up in a good home.  Rest in peace, Soldier.

lockwood.jpg

Thanks for your comments and the additional information MAW and Aerial Bridge. Thanks for adding to this thread and glad you enjoyed seeing this medal that allows us to remember this Veteran.

BKW