Are these WW2 combat boots or post war

ArchangelDM

Had these for years and would like to know if WW2 or not as only seen the rough out ones but I’m sure they did leather ones like these also ?

thanks 

- Dean 

B563CD6D-81E8-4574-B25A-D4B2C2E6D988.jpeg

84BD28AD-A52F-44CF-A2D2-411CE367FF94.jpeg

E870FEE0-73DE-4727-A46E-6111DDEE3CAD.jpeg

99C4C2B8-C486-4C08-8539-D87FCFD76A82.jpeg

6628BC65-FF8C-459B-87E6-38365386FEC1.jpeg

To me they look WW2 and had boot dubbing applied.

There were boots that had a brown finnish but on them I have an unworn set. I also have a set of buckle boots that were dyed black worn by a Colonel when the change over allowed older boots to be dyed and worn.

What ever they are, the lack of wear on the soles versus the very noticeable wear on the uppers doesn't seem right.

Just another stupid opinion......

Steve

I think they’re good, I’ll send a couple pictures of similar pairs I have.

e49168081df0ed693d833552e50499f4.jpg
7fa449a2653a910798852b6f66304c87.jpg

Looking at the soles, they do look like they have little wear. Could we get more overarching photos of them. Might just be we can’t really see the area that is most worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, doyler said:

look worn to me..I saw the wear to stitching on sole. the heel wear etc.

Doyler can I ask, are mine rough out boots but with some sort of leather wax put on top. Or did they also do a version in soft leather. They also have the early white inlay in the top ? 

thanks 

9 hours ago, themick said:

What ever they are, the lack of wear on the soles versus the very noticeable wear on the uppers doesn't seem right.

Just another stupid opinion......

Steve

Hey Steve 

the heel is almost flat from wear, they are worn but I’ll post more pics up 

Aren't these just the standard M-43 buckle boots? Some had khaki canvas inside and some had OD. What's not to like? Legit to me.

Also, soles were replaced all the time. Still are actually but it was once as common as wristwatch maintenance. Oh, wait.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 12:04 PM, dmar836 said:

Aren't these just the standard M-43 buckle boots? Some had khaki canvas inside and some had OD. What's not to like? Legit to me.

Also, soles were replaced all the time. Still are actually but it was once as common as wristwatch maintenance. Oh, wait.

Dave

That is what having a welted boot is all about!

On 1/28/2021 at 4:56 PM, ArchangelDM said:

Thanks everyone ! I was confused by the soft leather as seen them rough side out also 

Those do appear to have been "rough side out". It was common when troops were in garrison, to modify their boots for a more "dressy" appearance . They would scrub off, or burn off, the outer roughness, then apply polish.  When worn in the field, general wear and tear tended to smooth the rough finish as well and repeated application of boot dubbing had the same effect. Any any case, the upper cuffs with the buckles were always made of smooth-side-out leather.

1 minute ago, pararaftanr2 said:

Those do appear to have been "rough side out". It was common when troops were in garrison, to modify their boots for a more "dressy" appearance . They would scrub off, or burn off, the outer roughness, then apply polish.  When worn in the field, general wear and tear tended to smooth the rough finish as well and repeated application of boot dubbing had the same effect. Any any case, the upper cuffs with the buckles were always made of smooth-side-out leather.

Thanyou for the detailed reply - much appreciated 

- Dean 

The rough outs would have been like sponges in the winter and spring of '44/'45. The appearance of your boots is typical. They have made repros but if boots are as old and burnished-looking as yours, mine, and most are they are a safe bet.

This stuff was common and most of the original buckle boots appear to have had it at one time or another.

P.S. The "safety banana" is for scale and, of course, to prevent any accidents while taking the picture.

12.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 2/13/2021 at 8:44 AM, pararaftanr2 said:

My grandfather, 5th AAF, complained about this vehemently.  He said the army had all sorts of dumb rules, including polishing boots that were issued with a sueded finish.  I’m positive he was talking about these.  Stern words of dissent from a guy who rose from buck private to TSgt in about 2 years…