Bernard Sweeney DSC mini group

LYONSJ9

It was Halloween night, 1918 when Bernard Sweeney would become an American Hero.

On the night of October 31st, 1918, Sgt. Bernard Sweeney of Philadelphia lay crouched in a ditch near Brabant-Sur-Meuse, France alongside his commanding officer as German artillery shells crashed all around them.

Across the road, the vital allied telephone lines lay ripped to shreds by the massive bombardment.

Near by, over 1,000 men of the 3rd Battalion of the 79th Division were unknowingly in the path of a massive German artillery strike planned for the next morning. It was imperative that they be warned of what awaited them at dawn, but due to the state of the communication lines, this was impossible.

Sweeney had just watched 16 other men run across the road to mend the lines only to be blown to bits. After having had enough of watching almost all of the men under him get killed or severely wounded before his eyes, he asked Major Frank Lloyd (for the 17th time) to allow him to attempt to mend the broken wires, after Major Lloyd finally relented, Sweeney charged across the pot marked road with his tools, and began to climb atop the telephone poles to mend the wires. Through a hail of machine gun and artillery fire, Sweeney set to work repairing each wire, and returning the communication system to working order.

For this incredible act of heroism that indirectly saved hundreds of lives, Sweeney was personally awarded the Distinguished Service Cross by General Pershing, and the Croix d’Guerre by Marshal Pètain. Sweeney would go on to survive the war, and fill out the rest of his long life as a grocer in his native Philadelphia.

c3c2798eadd220a9bb7888e717318d40.jpg

df1814023f82ce79c796d9d6f01bebfd.jpg

f3ca91fbf121c6f87717032a7719b150.jpg

743313a21f319376a76f0064048d84cd.jpg

f5d016c1c99382f1651075bf75ac9d1b.jpg

8f9acd3c239420a61f649bbd8f0cb143.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BILL THE PATCH

Wow, with a bIg set of you know what, He led a very humble and content life just being a grocery. And a great RPPC, love the 79th patch

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Wow, with a bIg set of you know what, He led a very humble and content life just being a grocery. And a great RPPC, love the 79th patch

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Thank you Bill! He was definitely a tough bird!

Incredible! War-movie worthy heroics

Thank you! Imo, this might have justified the MOH. He definitely had balls of steel!

Excellent miniture medals, SSI, and postcard portrait and a great narrative for a very brave man.  Thanks for posting it.

Thank you Bert! I was really excited to get this one.