1/35 Scale Captured Kettenkaftrad

Old Marine

This is the old 1970s vintage 1/35 scale Tamiya Kettenkaftrad kit.  It’s an old kit and not up to the high standards of the newer more detailed kits but, I like it. It was a fun little build without a lot of tiny, frustrating pieces.  It was a good "social isolation" time waster.  

I based the kit on the wartime photo that I found by accident while surfing online.  The figures are the normal mix of parts, bashed together.  The heads are resin pieces from "Hornet Models".

The Kettenkaftrad is an unusual vehicle and those old Tamiya kits are out of production and they are hard to find.  I was very fortunate to dumb luck in to this kit through the kindness of one of our terrific forum members, Cutiger83.  Thank you Kat.

82CF9256-5DD0-4B2B-98AC-04004728D31B.jpeg

B43EF5AD-44A1-47CC-9D87-195D250075AF.jpeg

1C6A8517-CB8A-4824-8270-104AA02AA4C5.jpeg

E0C8F015-ACFE-4240-A8BA-571271AE8670.jpeg

0A2A1F2B-0FA6-4227-851A-496DB6E0D426.jpeg

A5B52CB8-CC54-4D21-9994-A2B9C2495752.jpeg

0674D532-A976-4BCE-BB46-2F7CFFD2C70E.jpeg

D6A7F970-38DD-4FAA-ABA2-0C532DE37E9A.jpeg

Awesome work Dennis. I have to admit that your figure kitbashing skills are great. Those Hornet heads really give the figures a more realistic look. As for your Kettenkaftrad; what can I say. Very well done. the markings, weathering and coloring is spot on. I really like how this kit came out for you. I'll be getting my kit from Kat soon. BTW if there is a vignette/diorama in the works for this K-rad, I'll be looking forward to it.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Awesome Kettenkraftrad (short: Kettenkrad). As usual your figure painting is top-notch. I really like the hornet heads, especially the grim look of the backseater. Well done!

Thanks guys.  The Hornet heads really do bring the figures to life.  I think they are an English company, and I have never been disappointed with their character heads.  

Very nice work - thanks for showing. The photo is great also - you can almost hear the MP telling the driver  "... you can't get there from here."

Thats great Dennis.. outstanding job as usual. I liked the Tamiya kits as a kid.... but there wasnt much available locally unless dad took me to the hobby shops or Kmart 20 five miles away.

Dennis,

Looks amazing! I am so happy you liked it! I can't believe this is all of the little pieces that were in the box. Hahaha! 

..Kat

Just visited the Tamiya website and noticed that Tamiya released an upgraded Kettenkrad kit with photoetched parts, new figures and decals (picture from Tamiya.de)

KK.jpg