this flight helmet has me stumped

Matt-M

Hi, this is not a modified helmet, but seemingly US made by the MEDIUM tag present in the inside. Leather outside and chamois leather inside, with metal "cups" with threads on the inside of them...any help appreciated.

2021-01-26 08.20.09.jpg

2021-01-26 08.21.05.jpg

2021-01-26 08.20.37.jpg

2021-01-26 08.20.51.jpg

2021-01-26 08.20.23.jpg

2021-01-26 08.21.15.jpg

2021-01-26 08.21.26.jpg

I found one similar. Not an exact match.  It is the Gosport type and it say's its Navy.

I googled Gospost helmet and looked under Images.

Semper Fi

Phil

Hi, Phil

I'm familier with the US Navy gosport helmets, but all the gosport systems I've seen used were plastic / bakelite comms and they weren't threaded. I did find 2 images from a past auction that shows mine is missing some unusual type of webbing that would cinch it upon the wearer. Sadly, they mis identified it as an RAF helmet, since they thought it was a Type C.

Screenshot_2021-01-26-20-52-44-1.png

Screenshot_2021-01-26-20-52-48-2.png

Yep. They press into the rubber cups of A-11, AN-H-15/16 type helmets.

Not threaded though. Does anyone have an example of the threaded Navy version?

Dave

And, the threads are deep inside the cup, closer to the wearer's ear, so whatever fits inside will have to clear the 1.5" depth before threading in.

Greetings to all, probably my mind is doing tricks but as I recall this is a radio helmet. Disregard if I am wrong. Be safe to all.

TheCrustyBosun
37 minutes ago, Matt-M said:

I agree with you ferco, I'm wondering if it was used aboard ship inside a gun turret? Just a guess..

Not likely. They didn’t wear helmets in those spaces and the comms gear was sound powered phone headsets with yoke mounted microphones. 

to me...and just my opinion...this helmet was meant for extreme use, judging by the harness system versus just a chin strap...

and when we here/see gosport tubes we think training...

an early aerobatic training helmet? civilian I would guess...just an opinion

another thought was used as a helmet for testing new aircraft, but the pilot would most likely have electronic comms...?

• 1 month later...
pararaftanr2

Sorry to say guys, but you are all way off base on this one. The item in question is a helmet made to wear with anti-aircraft sound detection equipment. The technology goes back to the WW1 era and similar devices were used pre and early war by many nations before radar came into wide use.  The US Army's M2 sound locator, and this helmet, can be seen in the images below. It could pick up incoming aircraft up to 8,000 yards away. See images below. The second image provides a view of both front and rear of this helmet.

ears1.jpg

USA M2 crew.jpg

pararaftanr2

Navy Gosport helmets for flying training were developed pre-WW2 and carried, unchanged, into mid-WW2. They had flexible metal tubes secured by short sections of rubber tubing to metal horns for speaking and listening. With the advent of the Harvard-design earphones receptacles for Army and Navy flight helmets in 1943, they were replaced by all plastic Gosports that snapped into the earphone openings of summer, winter, or intermediate flight helmets.  This version can be seen being worn by the Naval aviation cadets in the last photo below.

$T2eC16h,!)UE9s3wEgQ9BQnIGMBk+w~~60_3.jpg

gGosport.jpg

5309.jpg

3 hours ago, pararaftanr2 said:

Sorry to say guys, but you are all way off base on this one. The item in question is a helmet made to wear with anti-aircraft sound detection equipment. The technology goes back to the WW1 era and similar devices were used pre and early war by many nations before radar came into wide use.  The US Army's M2 sound locator, and this helmet, can be seen in the images below. It could pick up incoming aircraft up to 8,000 yards away. See images below. The second image provides a view of both front and rear of this helmet.

ears1.jpg

USA M2 crew.jpg

I bow down yet again and stand corrected. Well done!!!! I had no idea that even existed.

Fantastic!! Thank you!. What a space age looking device! As others have stated, never knew this existed! Too bad I don't have the cloth harness to go with it.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, I have this posted in the FS section. Thanks again to pararaftanr2 for ID'in this. Hopefully I can return the favor to others.