A poignant PH

Matt-M

Will do more research, but he was aboard the USS Vestal (AR-4) on Dec. 7th 1941, while moored to the USS Arizona. RIP S2c Long. Thank you for giving all for your shipmates.

2021-01-24 21.55.03.jpg

2021-01-24 21.55.34.jpg

Screenshot_2021-01-24-09-43-16.png

Kurt Barickman

image.png.008e7b131823304365275bd15d926cd3.png  Great USN Purple Heart. Here is a Tarawa KIA PH in my collection but in worse shape than your example. I

have always wondered what happened to these medals in the shape that both of these examples are in today. Thanks for sharing.

Kurt

Humbled to have come across this as it may be the only thing that remains of his sacrifice. The condition and the wear show that it was treasured by whomever wore it and I will do my best to give it the same reverence.

And Kurt, I see these as not something comparable to a coin or stamp, although some do, but rather a talisman to help me see their story through their eyes. Yours is a significant Heart as well, and it's condition, in my eyes does not diminish his sacrifice, and I'm sure you feel the same way. For those who want something in pristine condition, they can have that should they choose. Do you happen to know how PFC Sanders met his end?

I never once thought of the possibility that a Heart in this condition was worn as a necklace but that makes perfect sense.

The acid in some people’s bodies can remove all kinds of platings on jewelry. 

The condition has nothing to do with the person.

Great history.

Kurt Barickman

He was KIA on Tarawa and was a member of B-1-8 which was part of the 1/8th Marines which were boated all night and went ashore on D+1 and suffered horrific casualties on their way in as most of this group landed in boats as opposed to amtracs and many were KIA in the water trying to approach Betio. Since his body was recovered and repatriated back to his family in Detroit several years after the war, I assume he was KIA on the island itself. I have a thread on this heart.

Kurt

Trevor Arendall

Very nice medal! Thank you for remembering and preserving the sacrifice of Guy Long! I know most collectors are bothered by condition. However, condition has never bothered me as the medal still serves its purpose. Absolutely beautiful piece! Thank you for sharing!

Amazing piece!

If you are ever thinking of getting it reribboned, I’d highly recommend Clinton Foster of Medal Mulisha. He uses original period brooches and ribbon and he does an amazing job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Clinton is incredibly knowledgable about the construction of medals and highly recommend all check out his website. Very, very informative. As far as this medal is concerned, I am going to leave it as it is. I feel that whomever kept it close to them and wore it, meant for it to be this way.