IABDU, A2CU pattern question

AKC123

Hello, I have only ever seen the IABDU in woodland pattern and the A2CU in UCP which both make sense given the names imply the pattern. However was there never a DCU desert 3 color variant of aviation uniform? Seems odd if so. If anyone knows I’d appreciate it. Thanks 

No there was not.  The first generation of those uniforms was the ABDU, which looked like a regular BDU top, had the 4 square pockets but the Aircrew version had velcro closures, also had the sleeve pen pocket and the collar had a neck tab.  Shirt also has 2 little flap pass throughs under the arms for the MCG hose that didnt even really exist yet. The Trousers looked similar too but had velcro closures from the inside vertical and and also the addition to calf pockets that opened from the top with velcro.  Then I think it was 2003 time frame the IABDU came out they changed the pocket configs around.  The shirt pen pocket stayed the same, but they went to 2 zippered chest pockets, deleted the lower pockets and made only 1 sloped pass thru for the MCG hose on right side.  The trousers also went to zipper pockets and added the 27P style shroud knife pocket.   Both the ABDU and IABDU came in Woodland Pattern and Tan.   Tan was the desert version just like regular 27/P flight suits had tan vs the normal Sage green for the Desert.

A2CU comes in UCP as well as OCP too.   The current ones are the newer OCP "Scorpion" as well.   The older OCP so called OEF Camo Pattern ones were on 09 contracts from what Ive seen.  Anything from like 12 or newer is the "Scorpion" Operational Camo Pattern A2CUs.

I actually have a prototype mock up shirt for the A2CU, looks like a IABDU top but its in UCP.

1 hour ago, mohawkALSE said:

No there was not.  The first generation of those uniforms was the ABDU, which looked like a regular BDU top, had the 4 square pockets but the Aircrew version had velcro closures, also had the sleeve pen pocket and the collar had a neck tab.  Shirt also has 2 little flap pass throughs under the arms for the MCG hose that didnt even really exist yet. The Trousers looked similar too but had velcro closures from the inside vertical and and also the addition to calf pockets that opened from the top with velcro.  Then I think it was 2003 time frame the IABDU came out they changed the pocket configs around.  The shirt pen pocket stayed the same, but they went to 2 zippered chest pockets, deleted the lower pockets and made only 1 sloped pass thru for the MCG hose on right side.  The trousers also went to zipper pockets and added the 27P style shroud knife pocket.   Both the ABDU and IABDU came in Woodland Pattern and Tan.   Tan was the desert version just like regular 27/P flight suits had tan vs the normal Sage green for the Desert.

A2CU comes in UCP as well as OCP too.   The current ones are the newer OCP "Scorpion" as well.   The older OCP so called OEF Camo Pattern ones were on 09 contracts from what Ive seen.  Anything from like 12 or newer is the "Scorpion" Operational Camo Pattern A2CUs.

I actually have a prototype mock up shirt for the A2CU, looks like a IABDU top but its in UCP.

Great info thanks. Good to know. I have a handful of IABDU’s both in woodland and tan as well as a two A2CU’s that Iv bought from people because I find them interesting but was wondering why Iv never seen any desert camo versions. Because there aren’t any is the answer. Iv never actually seen any of the original ABDU’s either I don’t believe. Don’t know how common they are but I’ll have to keep a look out. Thanks 

14 minutes ago, AKC123 said:

Great info thanks. Good to know. I have a handful of IABDU’s both in woodland and tan as well as a two A2CU’s that Iv bought from people because I find them interesting but was wondering why Iv never seen any desert camo versions. Because there aren’t any is the answer. Iv never actually seen any of the original ABDU’s either I don’t believe. Don’t know how common they are but I’ll have to keep a look out. Thanks 

They are still pretty common to find on ebay.  Gotta really pay attention to the main pockets when you find them for sale.  If its 4 up front youlll know its an ABDU.  If you just see the 2  covered zipper chest pockets  youll know ABDU.  And the pic you posted the other day of the Woodland 10th Mtn top is an ABDU not IABDU.  Check out the pockets.