VF-24 Renegades...Rage on!

horridohutch

Another recent addition is a helmet that belonged to the CO of the Renegades from the early 90s. What is interesting is the amp setup on the mask, not the standard amp block that we are used to seeing. Threw me off at first but the lesson was learned in that this was a legitimate MBU-14 in a configuration used in the fleet. This when the standard amp blocks were in short supply. Note that Mr Adamson identified his helmet and mask with his initials and the last 4 of his SSN.

Cdr. Robert "Squatty" Adamson, 26 JUL 52 - 20 JAN 99, RIP sir.

Served as CO MAY 93- JUL 94

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

formal.JPG

VF21Freelancers.JPG

Wow, another fantastic-looking helmet set for sure, with a nice ID and pilot history attached !

It misses the O² connector (I guess it also would have to be equipped with a chest pressure regulator), but that's not such big a deal IMO.

The NAVY communication hookups' variations never cease to amaze me, but the Delta-shaped amp replaced by an in-line one, even if rare, is totally legit, as you found out.

Here's another example (USMC) I've found on the web.

oxm-usmcmbu14.jpg.8dcaaf67ca6c5ccada37a1cf95299495.jpg

I also like the fact that the Rengades kept the same checkered tape pattern throughout the years, on HGU-33/P then HGU-55/P like yours.
There's an undeniable parentage when you look at these older sets on F-14s.

image.png.c3dc81425c543a013e5226478d4a23e0.png 6760057_download-1(Mini).jpg.afbcba9075693a4b7c12153dc9b08d10.jpg

Top-Gun-Bio-960_640.jpg.3d241e8851cbaffb0979c324edf9403d.jpg

Congratulations for this great addition, I can't help thinking how lucky you guys in the US are to find such treasure helmets !

- Gauthier