Model 1904 Hospital Corps Knife Bolo For consideration

The Rooster

That same leather adaptor, dyed black, was used by West Point.  They used the Krag Bayonet until the cadets started carrying the M14 (with M6 Bayonet).  The Krag Bayonet fit all the rifles from the Krag, through the M1903, to the M1 Garand.  The leather adaptor was needed to fit the Krag Bayonet Scabbard onto the canvas belts used by the cadets for parade.

13 hours ago, robinb said:

Here's my 1904 dated example and unmarked scabbard.

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

Yours looks like mine. No serial no SA. Are these Bolo's from the first batch that I keep reading about, of 236 that did not get a serial number ???

Those are beautiful examples you have there.

Are these Bolo's with just the 1904 and U.S. markings.... from the first batch that I keep reading about, of 236 that did not get a serial number ???

13 minutes ago, The Rooster said:

Those are beautiful examples you have there.

Are these Bolo's with just the 1904 and U.S. markings.... from the first batch that I keep reading about, of 236 that did not get a serial number ???

Obviously they are from the batch of 236.

15 minutes ago, robinb said:

Obviously they are from the batch of 236.

Thank you Sir ! This is my first M1904 and I dont know much at all about them. Just what Ive read in the past few days.

And I wanted to get some confirmation that it is what I thought it is and not some fake etc etc.

I appreciate your help !

I notice yours has the proper scabbard with the leather loop instead of the hanger.

Mighty fine !

A view of hospital corps soldiers at Fort Columbia, Washington, wearing their bolos, with leather belts.
Image from WA State Parks collection, on display at Fort Columbia museum.

344123512_Aug182018FtColumbia(7).JPG.ab781f722bfe16a98cec8037959e3c1f.JPG

951326934_Aug182018FtColumbia(7)-Copy.JPG.0fd29cef58f7c8a000d22e2e0311532a.JPG

Great Photo !!!

I got the blade in today. Im a bit disappointed as the seller said in his listing "No nicks or chips in the blade."

And thats clearly a dishonest statement. Its 116 years old so what the heck, but it has a nick / chip in the blade and a large (Over an inch) long defect in the blade.

None of this could be seen in the sellers pics.

Its not a deal breaker for me but disappointing none the less.

DSCF3653.JPG

DSCF3650.JPG

DSCF3649.JPG

DSCF3648.JPG

DSCF3647.JPG

ccyooper- Thanks for showing the picture of the canvas scabbard. Have never seen or heard of this one. Trying to figure out if it was made for the 1904 bolos,   or a modification of another piece of equipment. ( like the leather horse picket pin scabbards, used for Krag bayonets).  SKIP

Skip, I thought it was a one off too, but then I saw one a few years ago at the SOS and I saw another one like it on ebay.  I suspect that they may have been made for a particular unit in the Philippine's during WWII. 

ccyooper- Thanks for showing the back of the scabbard. Just crossed my mind that is it possibly designed to be used on a McClellan saddle. Although I know nothing about saddles. SKIP

On 1/24/2021 at 6:49 PM, thorin6 said:

And for consideration another enigmatic bolo, this one is for engineers.  It's unit marked 'Co C 114 E."  Note the leather belt loop.

1005a.jpg

1005b.jpg

Thorin Six, I have bolo that looks like this one but it has Collins no 1005 Hardford stamped on the blade. was it used in WW2?

I've seen pictures of these on the Philippines just prior to WW2 so it's most likely they were used in the PTO in the early stages of WW2.

BTW this is a Collins No. 1005, I just didn't highlight it. 

I was able to pick up a pommel cap from a damaged 1914 produced bolo.

It did not fit at first. I did a little sanding and it fits good now.

Strange thing about this one is the lanyard hole is not there.

Its filled in. ?

I wonder why ?

DSCF3661.JPG

DSCF3660.JPG

DSCF3668.JPG

DSCF3669.JPG

DSCF3666.JPG

On 1/24/2021 at 1:09 PM, The Rooster said:

It did--$685.51 + 9.64 shipping.  I'm surprised it didn't go higher though. Who knows??

Heres the last pics Im going to post on this one. Also a size comparison with the 1917 Bolo.

I still have no idea why this one has no Lanyard hole, other than because it is a very early one ?

DSCF3679.JPG

DSCF3682.JPG

DSCF3686.JPG

DSCF3680.JPG

• 1 month later...
The Rooster

Greetings all, Here is a 1904 sheath I picked up for the 1904 boo I have.

I had to buy another bolo to get it but I believe these sheaths from 1904 are so rare as to be worth buying and

its a great match to my bolo. Its a bit rough but It' do.

bf.jpg

s-l500.jpg

The Rooster

The 04 with out the serial number now has a matching year sheath.

Here is the 04 sheath fitted to my 04 bolo.

I put the new 1910 dated bolo with my 1912 sheath.

DSCF3802.JPG

DSCF3803.JPG

DSCF3804.JPG

DSCF3805.JPG

I have been admiring the nice blades being shown in this forum, thanks for showing. I came across these 2 photo,s of Bolo,s in an old 1958 U.S. catalogue, thought they may be of interest, especially the price.

Collector2

US1890Bolo.jpg

USBolo.jpg

• 3 years later...
Restick04

Hello gents! I have just picked up one of these fascinating knifes that I hadn’t even heard about till I saw it. This thread had already helped a ton! But I wanted to show so pictures of mine and maybe get some opinions on it and maybe an estimated value as that’s been harder to determine, and any other Info would be appreciated! The knife is dated 1911 and has a serial number of 17200, and the sheath is dated 1912 although it’s very hard to tell. The sheath isn’t in the best condition, and the knife’s handle is cracked and missing the bottom metal piece. The sheath seems to have some sort of maybe unit marking? Wondering what that is. And it seems to have initials under the date that read H. E. K.  Gotta admit this is probably my favorite piece I have ever found. Very unique. Any input or additional information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks 

Isaiah 

IMG_9104.jpeg

IMG_9105.jpeg

IMG_9106.jpeg

IMG_9107.jpeg

IMG_9108.jpeg

IMG_9109.jpeg

IMG_9110.jpeg

IMG_9111.jpeg

IMG_9112.jpeg

IMG_9113.jpeg

IMG_9114.jpeg

IMG_9115.jpeg

IMG_9116.jpeg

IMG_9117.jpeg

IMG_9118.jpeg

IMG_9119.jpeg

"H.E.K." are the Rock Island Arsenal inspector's initials. Looks like the scabbard is marked to a National Guard of New York unit.