Unknown Patch ID: USN Minesweeper personnel

kfields

I purchased about a dozen patches in an antique store for $4. I identified all but this one. Is this even U.S. Military or maybe some random civilian type patch? It's 2 inches tall (side to side), embroidered on a felt / wool base. Thanks!

Kim

IMG_20210123_185711706.jpg

IMG_20210123_185730750.jpg

Salvage Sailor

This was the unofficial distinguishing mark for USN Minesweeper personnel, primarily aboard Lapwing class minesweepers in the 1920' and 30's.  It was also emblazoned on the bows of several sweeps as shown on this topic here.

USS TANAGER 001.jpg

USS TANAGER 002.jpg

Salvage sailor, thanks for the extremely interesting information! Like I said before, I don't ever recall seeing this patch before. More questions:

Were mine sweepers a different group and talent and ships than the mine layers?

Kim

Salvage Sailor

Many of the mine layers (or more accurately Mine Planters) were US Army boats working in concert with the Coast Artillery Corps to secure harbor defenses.

USN Lapwing class minesweepers were also repurposed as the first Submarine Rescue & Rescue/Salvage vessels in the 1930's (Blackfish Sailors)

Blackfish 001.jpg

The USN Minesweepers were dual purpose, adept in laying, recovering or sweeping mines in harbors, channels and on the open seas.  Their talents were many in that they had to master the art of mine warfare and in the pre-war period also be versed in towing, salvage, diving, seaplane operations and the nascent submarine rescue service until the dedicated ASR & ARS type ships came into the fleet in 1941.

Lapwing 001.jpg

They wore their Roundel proudly to display their mine warfare proficiency.

Lapwing 002.jpg

• 4 months later...

I HAVE HAD THIS LITTLE PATCH FOR EVER (50'S )

SEEM TO REMEMBER A WW 2 NAVY GUY SAID IT 'S WORN ON THE CUFF OF 

NAVY BLUE'S, TUNIC , 

AHR