USAAC Sgt. Pilots

MARTINRF

These items are not of my core collecting, but I have always held a fascination of things US aviation. When I was offered this particular wing, I guessed that it may have been an aviation relative's gift to a 1942-newly-graduated S/Sgt., seeing as at that time it was already a 20-year-old item. My queries about it are:

1) Were USAAC pilots often ever Sergeants?

2) Once on operations, were USAAC Sgt. pilots ever often to remain un-commissioned for very long?

3) Did they operate in any/all combat theatres, or more in some than in others?

4) What kept a pilot, always the commander of the aircraft that he was flying, uncommissioned when he could be out-ranked by other crew members?

5) Were they more often co-pilots/single-crewed aviators?

The sterling, brooched, USAAC symbol came in to my collection quite separately - it is 35mm across the wing tips - is it a sweetheart item or is it official insignia in some way?

(8{

IMG_20210123_174148_223.jpg

IMG_20210123_173604_323.jpg

Pilot_BB&B_20200926_172433_HDR.jpg

Pilot_BB&B_20200926_170221_HDR.jpg

The history book for the 82nd Fighter Group begins with a great deal of discussion about their being formed with many sergeant pilots, most having graduated in class 42-C.  At one point the book states that all of the sergeant pilots received commissions as 2nd Lts. before leaving the U.S., but the lowest rank to be given credit for shooting down an enemy aircraft was Flight Officer.  I assume the F/Os were replacement pilots.

Marty