CO dog tags ID

MemphisB@lle

Hi guys,

I know it's a long shot, but who knows.

Any of you has any way to ID this pair of tags

The serial starting with O should mean these belonged to a commissioned officer?

WM T WAGAR

O- 1048229 T44 
Bloodtype A
Protestant

Thanks

Peter

IMG_20210113_222315.jpg

CavalryCombatant

That’s pretty odd you don’t have a full first name, almost makes me think it’s not an issued dog tag, perhaps one that was sent home?  I’m not too great at researching but if I had to hazard a guess I’d say this may be your man.  

I didn’t look super deep, but at first glance does check out.  

Best of luck,

CC

D96ED456-5E32-497E-86C6-AAEB4DE9D1CD.jpeg

CavalryCombatant

And I just noticed I spelled his last name wrong, sorry

My suggestion would be to check findagrave as both officers and enlisted men show up there, if you know where the tags came from that may also help.

Thanks CC

I know tracking down officers isn't easy as they mostly don't show up in the listings.

THanks for the tip... Just checked Find a grave and found this Mr WAGAR 

I suppose WM is short for William?

WAGAR.JPG

Source:  Ancestry.com

William was 89 years of age at the time of his death, in Livonia.  He is the beloved husband of Phyllis,

Bill is survived by dear children: Karen, Bill, Jeff and Heather.  He is also the adored grandfather of 12 and great-grandfather of 2.

Bill served in the United States Army during World War II as Commander of a Searchlight Unit, leading a Platoon in the European Theatre of Operation for which he later was awarded 2 Battle Stars.

He went on to a career in the automotive industry and regional sales.

The family will receive freinds on Saturday, December 17th from 10 a.m. until the time of Memorial Services at 1 p.m. Pastor Brad Gee of Hope Lutheran Church in Farmington Hills, will officiate.

Bill will also be honored with a brief service by the Masons, and with a U.S. Army Military Honor Guard.

Bill's ashes will be placed in a niche, beside his late wife, Karen, at Great Lakes National Cemetery, in Holly, MI.

CavalryCombatant
34 minutes ago, MemphisB@lle said:

Thanks CC

I know tracking down officers isn't easy as they mostly don't show up in the listings.

THanks for the tip... Just checked Find a grave and found this Mr WAGAR 

I suppose WM is short for William?

I was thinking that’s what WM stood for, but I wasn’t exactly sure.  From the research above I’m going to assume my hunch was correct.  

Glad you were able to (hopefully) find your man.

Best of luck,

CC

Yes, “Wm” is a commonly used shortened form of William. 

It is also common to see ID tags with those types of abbreviations, especially if there is space running out due to a long surname.  In this case, it looks like the guy stamping the tag was just keeping all of the name on the same line.

Thanks a lot people!

Looks like there's more places to go to then the "WW2 enlistment records" website.

Let's see if I can get more on this, got enough information to start with now.

Any suggestions regarding websites or listings about US WW2 soldiers, feel free to share.

Kr

Peter

Two sons of Mr and Mrs Orlen Wagar, of Beaverton, have arrived in Iceland with U. S. expeditionary forces, according to word received by their parents last week. Because of military regulations the Record is not at liberty to disclose their addresses. Pvt. William T. Wagar and Corp Charles E .Wagar enlisted in the army in October of 1940. Gladwin County Record 4/1/1942

These two brothers, Pvts. Charles and William Wagar, former Beaverton boys enlisted together and are now serving in the army at an Iceland post. The two boys graduated from the Beaverton school in June of 1940 and enlisted in October of the same year. Charles, top, was 21 years old on May 22, while William, below, will be 20 on October 1. Gladwin County Record 6/17/1942

SGT. WILLIAM T. Wagar, former Beaverton boy, survived a fire at sea aboard the Naval transport Wakefield, and was in the county last week telling folks about it. Sergeant Wagar, who had been stationed at a northern outpost for the past seven months, was returning to the United States to enter officers' training school in North Carolina. He enlisted in October of 1940 after his 18th birthday and long before Pearl Harbor. His brother, Charles, enlisted at the same time and both boys have been together at the army post in the north. The fire on the Wakefield was of undetermined origin. Bill was removed with other passengers to an American warship and landed at an East coast port. He was home last week visiting his parents who now live in Midland and left Sunday for the officers' training school. Gladwin County Record 9/16/1942

Lieutenant William T. Wagar, son of Mr. and Mrs. Orlen Wagar, of Beaverton, was graduated from the Officers' Training School at Camp Davis, North Carolina, on December 10th. He spent a few days with his family here before Christmas. Bill, with his brother Charles, enlisted in the Army in October of 1940 and was stationed at Fort Sheridan until December 7th of 1941. Since that time he served for more than eight months with U. S. forces in Iceland and was returned to this country in September to enter Officers Training School. Bill is now in Newport News, VA awaiting assignment to duty. Gladwin County Record 1/13/1943

Lt. William Wagar - son of Mr. & Mrs. Orlen Wagar, of Beaverton - who enlisted with his brother: S/Sgt. Charles Wagar, in 1940, was also stationed in Iceland until a year ago and is now on duty in the Canal Zone after being commissioned as a Lieutenant from Officers' Training School in North Carolina in September, 1942. Gladwin County Record 9/15/1943

Lt. William T. Wagar who has been stationed in the Panama Canal Zone for the past year, visited his parents, Mr and Mrs Orlen Wagar last week. Lt. Wagar will attend school at Camp Davis, North Carolina for the next eight months. Gladwin County Record 3/1/1944