Huge Grouping to an Officer in the 31st OVI

So this is probably the coolest purchase I’ve made. Pictured is an absolutely massive grouping to Thompson Gallaher, of the 31st Ohio Infantry. B. 1839, D. 1898

Gallaher enlisted in 1861 as a private in the 31st Ohio Volunteer Infantry and finished the war as a 2nd Lieutenant. Fighting in many of the major battles of the western theater. The 31st lost. 233 men during service; 2 officers and 77 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded, 1 officer and 153 enlisted men died of disease.

The grouping includes:

1)Gallaher’s full wartime diaries

2)A veterans ribbon for the 31st OVI

3)His state of Ohio Civil War medal

4)beautiful uniform removed 2nd LT Bars

5)Uniform removed 14th corps badge

6) Both of Gallaher’s discharge papers (he re-enlisted in ‘64)

7)Regiment muster in roll, listing Gallaher’s promotions

8) A (GAR?) hat cord for a Hardee Hat

9) GAR reunion badge and GAR buttons

10) And perhaps my favorite, Gallaher’s marriage certificate!

Throughout the war Gallaher kept diaries, which I’m now lucky to own. The diaries I have are for 1862, 64, 65. I’ve yet to read the diaries completely but there are several entries describing skirmishes or artillery duels with the Rebs in Ky and Tn, Sherman’s March to the Sea in ‘64, Bentonville and Johnson’s surrender in 65, as well as Gallaher’s participation in the Grand Review of the Armies in Washington DC. However my favorite entry thus far is the last one on August 25, 1865 which simply states “Returned home”.

Unfortunately Gallaher’s 1863 diary appears to have been lost to the ages. Perhaps dropped at Chickamauga or while he was storming missionary ridge.

The group also came with a bunch of tin types, I assume they depict Gallaher and perhaps his war buddies, his wife and daughters. However there’s no concrete evidence for that.

I just love this group because it paints such a clear picture of Gallaher’s life. I can follow his journey from private, to 2nd Lt, to husband and father. Truly a unique grouping.

My research suggest that Gallaher was exchanged as a prisoner at some point but I’ve yet to find any indication of this in his diaries.

3izn98J.jpg

c5MMhWg.jpg

HHIuLgY.jpg

2RXoS9X.jpg

UdGPxkB.jpg

h23YOPf.jpg

PA2I5pZ.jpg

VfFNr3s.jpg

5usbuxl.jpg

pi3OMoN.jpg

10 minutes ago, bbmilitaria said:

Fantastic, once in a lifetime find!!! Sounds like the making of a book!

Thank you! Saw it listed on FB for 700 and i couldn't believe my eyes. Can't wait to start typing up Gallaher's diaries

Was typing up his 1863 diary tonight and I have confirmation he was taken prisoner, on 8/7/62 near Decatur GA after a skirmish went wrong.

"8/7: Started at daylight, got four miles from Decatur, was harassed by some rebel cavalry and compelled to surrender! Then marched us through the woods for ten miles to the mountains.

8/8: Took the oath and released on parole and marched to our lines."

USCapturephotos
12 hours ago, cylekostello said:

Thank you! Saw it listed on FB for 700 and i couldn't believe my eyes. Can't wait to start typing up Gallaher's diaries

Wow that is a wonderful grouping for an incredible price. I have one Civil War diary and so enjoyed transcribing it. You have hours of fun ahead of you I suspect.

Congratulations!

Paul

Very nice pickup! So cool and interesting to have a grouping that includes his daily war experiences. If that one photo does include him and his war buddies they look like a dangerous group to tangle with on the battlefield and a great fun group to hang with at a party!

Frank

Fantastic find. It always amazes me that people, especially family, are willing to part with these items but then again "one man's trash...". I hope you'll share some of the diary contents with us.

Thanks for the kind words all! I absolutely love this find. I finished typing up Gallaher's 1862 diary today, wherein he fought at Corinth, was taken prisoner, fell ill, and spent much of the year as a parolee at Camp Chase, Ohio. He must have been released from parole before 1864 as his 1864 diary has him in Georgia with Sherman and engaged in combat. 

Below is my type up of his 1862 diary, some were difficult to read, anything i'm unsure about is either in parenthesis or marked with a question mark. Hope y'all enjoy it is much as I did. On to his 1864 Diary! 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hp5yI4HQj9jaMsvMSBa4zQzJ40D123275xanommVamU/edit?usp=sharing

Best, 

Kyle

13 hours ago, USCapturephotos said:

Wow that is a wonderful grouping for an incredible price. I have one Civil War diary and so enjoyed transcribing it. You have hours of fun ahead of you I suspect.

Congratulations!

Paul

12 hours ago, sundance said:

Fantastic find. It always amazes me that people, especially family, are willing to part with these items but then again "one man's trash...". I hope you'll share some of the diary contents with us.

Transcribing the 1862 diary was such a treat. A fascinating look into camp life, as well as some bits of real excitement at Corinth or when he was taken prisoner. 

12 hours ago, M24 Chaffee said:

Very nice pickup! So cool and interesting to have a grouping that includes his daily war experiences. If that one photo does include him and his war buddies they look like a dangerous group to tangle with on the battlefield and a great fun group to hang with at a party!

Frank

Hahah, I felt the same Frank! That fella in the back with the axe certainly looks imposing.

13 hours ago, CNY Militaria said:

I am not a CW collector but that's a really neat group that even I would have jumped on! Great stuff.

Thank you! Just started collecting CW this year but this is easily my favorite acquisition thus far.