Pre-Civil War Navy Paymaster Dag?

Dirk

Ok, I would Like to discuss this uniform.  I am not well versed in this type of uniform during this period, but would like to pinpoint who this person is.  At this time period, 1852 thru 1861, this officer is wearing the service dress uniform at the time, and may have worn it during the early part of the Civil War.  I believe paymaster wasn't created until 1862 in which case he would have been a purser.  However, I do not believe he has the insignia of a purser.  Only two staff corp officers wore the wreath of senior sea officers (a shallow wreath with olive on the left and oak on the right), pursers and medical officers.  If you look closely at his cap device, you can see he has a Olive sprig indicating Surgeon.  If it had been an oak sprig, he would have been a purser.  Although we can't tell from the picture, he would also have an olive sprig in his shoulder straps.  We can however, notice he does not have acorns or a bar at the ends of his shoulder strap which would have indicated either 12 years of service as a surgeon, or as passed  surgeon assistant respectively.  

Neither purser nor surgeon were authorized to wear their cap device with a gold lace band until 1852, which I am using as a reference to date your picture.  Maybe I can find a picture of both the oak and olive sprigs side by side to show as reference.

Anyways, feel free to correct me if I am wrong with anything I have written.  As far as price on the Dag, I have zero experience with pricing pictures from this time period, but this has to be a very rare photo in very good condition.  It would be great to have this photo as reference as there is very little reference material from that time period.

Nice image-- anything US military and a daguerreotype is desirable.

I believe the condition and size brought down the price. 

It is heavily scratched and probably tissue wiped at some point.  Your first photo vividly shows all of the condition issues.

Scott

Woody thanks for your input.....I know very little of this period so I have learned much from your post! For me I recognized the image was rare....I was just surprised it went so cheaply. Again thanks for chiming in!

thanks Scott as well....I figured you are well versed as anyone here on these early images 

Unusual always finds a buyer.

I use a simple grading system on antique images:  EXCELLENT/ VERY GOOD/ GOOD/ POOR and then a description of issues that put it into that category.  This image would fall into the POOR category, with numerous heavy plate scratches, fine tissue swipes over the subject and discoloration near the matting.

Daguerreotype collectors, from my experience, are very particular about condition.

I think this image sold at a reasonable price (no bargain).  I'd expect it to be in the $250- $450 range.

Scott

Scott thank you!...I know you know market conditions, as well as what the dag collectors look for, far better than I. Given that it’s a early Navy image I thought it might go higher considering the number of watchers.