4th AD plastic DI question

Albert

Hi everyone,

I've had this one for decades, it was picked up in Germany.  Questions I have are, were those meant to be worn as regular DUIs?  If so, what would the backing look like, safety pin?

Thank You!

Al 

4th AD DI plastic.jpg

My guess is that it looks like it was made at the Oden Wald plastic factory in Germany which made a lot of plastic DUI after they war using a similarly colored plastic. My guess is it would have had a catch similar to the one shown below which is on a AAA unit's DUI. I like it by the way, I have a painted metal 4th Division DUI but have not seen one like that before. 

thumbnail_IMG_5106.jpg

This looks diff than those made at Odenwald. They are flat back and the mold has everything raised on the fronts of the Odenwald DIs. This doesn't look too sturdy - does it bend?

Although this 4th AD piece looks GM, not sure what type of catch device would have been used - unk where it would have been affixed. Looks like an injection molding, or one of those "toy making" toys of the 60s that made plastic cars and trinkets. I remember them, but too old to remember the name of the toy. You could severely burn yourself making one of the toys, that's for sure.     

Neat insignia for sure.  

Thank you!  That looks like an easy fix without further compromising the crest.  Now, would need to find the parts for the backing.  Based on the 4th AD's stay in Germany it's probably form the 1960s.  Wish it was one from the 1st AD, would fit much better into the collection. 

You are right that Odenwald pieces do appear to be made differently, I had focused mainly on the color which is within the realm of what I would expect from an example from that maker. I do not think I have seen a plastic DUI that had a back like that one now that I am thinking about it. It would be interesting to see a complete one.

For the Forum. the painted colors on the 'little old plastic factory in the Odenwald" are different than in the DI which began this thread.  I believe Albert when he says his 4th AD  is probably from the 60s.

Here are some Odenwald examples: L-R 116th Cav Rcn Sq, 127th AAA Bn, 839th AAA Bn, 573rd AAA Bn. They all have flat backs and are PB attachments like what Ray42 showed, except for the 127th, which is 3 hole drilled to sew it on.   These were all made c. 1945-46.

plastic DIs.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

I think the manufacturing styles are very different. The Odenwald examples are poured like a lead bar is poured. The top is level and creates the smooth back. The OP piece is almost assuredly vacu-formed/vacuum formed. The give away is the relative thinness and the back being a reverse image of the front with the indentation of a mold. 

I am glad there were more knowledgeable members to help since my advice was wrong, I am glad no one got mislead and now we know. By the way that 127th with the holes drilled is pretty neat, if you don't mind me getting side tracked and asking was that a soldiers way to keep using it after the original pin back fell off or was it made like that?

Thanks guys, I learned a lot here.  One last question, what would be the trade value of the plastic 4th AD in this condition?  Would probably prefer a metal crest of that period.