Unusual WW-2 Era USN Pilot Survival Knife

Maverickson

Hi All,

Recently acquired  a great picture of a USN aviator that taken of a VB-135 member. Received directly from the family of that individual seen pictured.  The A/C was a PV-1 or 2 Ventura. More than likely taken between 1943 and 1945 on either Attu or Adak Alaska. 

1620593629_PersonalKnife.jpg.3c4c74d15b655e31ea654a9a18ba3e13.jpg

Throughout 1943 and 1945 VB-135 conducted recon & bombing missions on the most Northern Japanese held Isles during the War. 

If I had not seen this pic for myself I would not have believed that during WW-2 naval aviators carried anything but govt issue.

Cheers, Dave

Looks native made (antler or whale or walrus bone handle or something like that?). Pretty cool photo! Of course it makes you wonder what happened to the knife itself... 

1 hour ago, MattS said:

Looks native made (antler or whale or walrus bone handle or something like that?). Pretty cool photo! Of course it makes you wonder what happened to the knife itself... 

'

Knife.jpg.6864ccdb7448f62b058a89d7b8b92102.jpg

According to the family the knife was given to him as a gift from his crew. Recently purchased that same knife along with his flight jacket.

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave,

Can you provide a closeup of any markings, such as the one near the guard on the blade or any others.  Also, one of the sheath as well since it by itself looks very interesting.  Thanks.

43 minutes ago, aznation said:

Hi Dave,

Can you provide a closeup of any markings, such as the one near the guard on the blade or any others.  Also, one of the sheath as well since it by itself looks very interesting.  Thanks.

Hi All,

Of all places, to have recieved this same knife in Alaska only to find out that it was made in Mexico. 

634317905_PilotSurvivalKnifeMarkings.jpg.6c6225db116128d75135f082598e0631.jpg

116346215_PIlotSurvivalKnifeMadeInMexico.jpg.63bfaf2c9af20dca5ad7dbc191bdbf0a.jpg

Cheers, Dave

Thanks Dave,

If you go on Worthpoint's website https://www.worthpoint.com/ and do a search like I show here you'll see some other examples from this same knifemaker.  If you click on each you'll multiple pictures of each one.  Still a pretty cool knife.  Some call them "tourist knives", but your weapon sir, "It will kill"!

g1.jpg

Hi ,

Yes & I appreciate you pointing that knife's maker out to me!  I'm not surprised that it is not a very intrinsically valuable knife.  However, it was purchased as a part of an entire grouping. Moreover, the provenance to the individual and the story behind it that makes it all the more interesting verses valuable. As it is a small part of the whole grouping & after all, a great conversation piece! 

Not to mention, , who can say with much certainty that their knife was definitely a party to multiple raids on both land and sea targets over the Kurile Islands, attacking and being attacked by Japanese A/C  during the Aleutian Campaign.?

Here is the knife's owner in the cockpit and piloting his PV-1 Ventura during WW-2. Most notably he is also wearing his Switlik Parachute and Equipment Co. M-422. That particular make flight jacket was issued prior to WW-2. By far the most rare USN flight jacket in existence and same jacket purchased along with this grouping. 

2125558533_CockpitOfPV-1VenturaWearingSwitlik.jpg.b33a84c8619d44b82fec7b019cf2edce.jpg

Best of all, I've found post action reports of him attacking Japanese air ports, shipping and even giving chase to a  Betty Bomber (that got away) using his Ventura's three forward firing 50's. In the end, winning him the DFC. 

How cool is that!

Cheers, Dave. 

1 hour ago, Maverickson said:

Hi ,

Yes & I appreciate you pointing that knife's maker out to me!  I'm not surprised that it is not a very intrinsically valuable knife.  However, it was purchased as a part of an entire grouping. Moreover, the provenance to the individual and the story behind it that makes it all the more interesting verses valuable. As it is a small part of the whole grouping & after all, a great conversation piece! 

Not to mention, , who can say with much certainty that their knife was definitely a party to multiple raids on both land and sea targets over the Kurile Islands, attacking and being attacked by Japanese A/C  during the Aleutian Campaign.?

Here is the knife's owner in the cockpit and piloting his PV-1 Ventura during WW-2. Most notably he is also wearing his Switlik Parachute and Equipment Co. M-422. That particular make flight jacket was issued prior to WW-2. By far the most rare USN flight jacket in existence and same jacket purchased along with this grouping. 

2125558533_CockpitOfPV-1VenturaWearingSwitlik.jpg.b33a84c8619d44b82fec7b019cf2edce.jpg

Best of all, I've found post action reports of him attacking Japanese air ports, shipping and even giving chase to a  Betty Bomber (that got away) using his Ventura's three forward firing 50's. In the end, winning him the DFC. 

How cool is that!

Cheers, Dave. 

Absolutely right in everything you say Dave.  Personally, I like that knife and the others I saw on Worthpoint.  Most of those on Worthpoint also appear to have been used by servicemen as well and I think those look pretty good too.  All-in-all your group is magnificent.  Congrats!  -- Matt