CMP US&S M1911A1 Pistol Auction Win!

WWIIBuff1945

I had just sent in my CMP paperwork for round 2 and saw this US&S 1911A1. I've always wanted a CMP pistol and now I have a special one. Interestingly, it has a US&S replacement slide. There is no rebuild marks noted anywhere. Images courtesy of the CMP.

E. Scott Meadows, "U.S. Military Automatic Pistols 1920-1945":
"Replacement Slides"
"Some Union Switch & Signal slides will be encountered which are marked M 1911 A1 U.S. Army on the right side. These were manufactured as replacement slides for the Ordnance Department and were never used to assemble a completed pistol at the factory. The requirement for this marking on replacement slides was dropped in October of 1943."

According to the Clawson book , beginning Aug 15 1938 , the inscription "M1911A1 U.S.ARMY" was stamped on the right side of slides intended as spare slides made by Colt , Ithaca , Rem Rand and US&S. Spare slides were made till October 1943.

ss1.png

US6.JPG

US8a.png

US11.JPG

US13.JPG

US16.JPG

US20.JPG

US26.JPG

US24.JPG

US23.JPG

US28.JPG

US29.JPG

Your research is a little off, in a good way. 🙂

The frame is also a Union Switch & Signal from the looks of it.

Barrel is obviously a replacement, but that’s an easy fix - should you choose to do so.

Please add a good ‘head-on’ pic of the barrel bushing.

3 minutes ago, WWIIBuff1945 said:

How is my research off? Thanks

US12.JPG

I inferred (maybe incorrectly) from what you posted that it was a replacement US&S slide on another frame.  The top and bottom are both US&S.  Either way, cool old war horse.  Congrats.

Great gun... I like the faint rack number on the grips. The CMP guns have been great, but the wait and luck of the draw is stressful. So awesome you were able to find a nice one elsewhere. Or was this a CMP auction? I got one last year... Colt frame and Remington slide. Rebuilt at some point (no rebuild marks) with new parkerizing and like new. I like it. I'm glad the CMP is limiting everyone to one.  Too bad he auction prices go higher than expected... especially for things like mags, which I don't understand. Still, good the CMP is getting those funds to promote marksmanship.

Thanks yes I won a CMP auction. I'm afraid the program is going to be shut down so I;m have to have one from the CMP!

• 2 weeks later...

What a great 1911a1.  As posted above, very addictive but so historical.  I will be posting a story on my USS

1911a1 soon.  It has an ironic twist since it has a connection with the 442nd Regimental Combat Team.  I am

happy for you and your good luck. 

respectively,

dmsusuki

Thanks dmsusuki! Looking forward to seeing your 1911A1 with 442nd provenance. I also have a weapon tied to a member of the 442nd. In case you haven't seen it here is a link:

WWIIBuff1945,

I added some comment to your link above concerning the CZ 27 pistol bring back.  Your post did not come to the top so I am going to repost the images.  The Hawaiian birth certificate and the 522nd pillow case belonged to the same veteran but acquired via ebay.  For the full story see your original post.  My USS 1911a1 is posted currently20210221_162715.jpg.85b30b340d817b32b1134e6cdf88e1e0.jpg20210221_162759.jpg.d783a9b96b4f2793b6e5a5978f45ab7c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...