4 patches to i’d , thanks

greek5bc

Simplified explanation: Pilots (and others like navigators) are assigned to a training base, were they would be assigned to a class. So, lets say the year is 1969, and Vance AFB has 10 total classes to train. The first incoming class would be 69-01. The next, 69-02 and so on until 69-10. This would occur at each pilot training base. Prior to 1969, the classes were ID's by letters, as in 65-H. So the first class would be 65-A, and so forth in order. The number of classes could vary from year to year and base to base. A couple of bases used the letters into the very early 70s. Each class made a patch for their class to wear. These were unofficial, and were retired when the class graduated. The one you posted above I have not seen before, but there are so many of them it's about impossible to know them all. Hope this helps.

Randy

• 3 weeks later...

The A patch is a representation of the Manhattan Project pin that was presented during WWII and I believe just afterwards.  I have seen a drawing of the patch but never the actual patch.  Also, the unit was also known as the 8460th Special Weapons Group.

Larry