Unknown Armored DUI ID: 51st Armored Infantry

27Division18

Can anyone help me ID this DUI? The soldier wears an Armor patch. Collar disc looks like infantry. He is ID'd on the back of the photo as James E. Lee. Thanks

Jan 20, 2021` 001.JPG

Jan 20, 2021` 002.JPG

Jan 20, 2021` 003.JPG

Jan 20, 2021` 004.JPG

Jan 20, 2021` 005.JPG

17 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Looks to me like 51st Armored Infantry Battalion - part of the 4th Armored Division.

Thanks very much

You guys are both right. That is the 51st Inf. Regt DUI.  It is one of my old units.  The battalion salute was “Fixed Bayonets”, to be answered by “I Serve” which are the words on the lower part of the crest. Unofficially, Fixed Bananas, I Swerve since we were mechanized Inf. They should still be part of the 1st Armored Div.  I think it changed from the 4th AD in the late 1950s.

Rob

• 1 year later...

My father served in 51st AIB 1946-48 in Germany. During that time they were assimilated into the US Constabulary Force as 51st Constabulary Squadron (he was in Company D) stationed in Passau, near the Czech border. As WWII vets were rotating back to US, US Constabulary would fill voids left in occupation army to protect borders, enforce laws with German counterparts, coordinate movement of displaced persons, track down Nazi sympathizers and saboteurs, etc. 

7 hours ago, ejstuczko said:

My father served in 51st AIB 1946-48 in Germany. During that time they were assimilated into the US Constabulary Force as 51st Constabulary Squadron (he was in Company D) stationed in Passau, near the Czech border. As WWII vets were rotating back to US, US Constabulary would fill voids left in occupation army to protect borders, enforce laws with German counterparts, coordinate movement of displaced persons, track down Nazi sympathizers and saboteurs, etc. 

It would have been D Troop. Constab used cavalry designations (except the ACRs beginning 1948 and we'll let it go at that), If it says D Co on his discharge, then it's a clerical error. 

Clerical error on my part. I have it as Troop D, 51st Constabulary Squadron, 5th Constabulary Regiment, 2nd Constabulary Brigade ( Passau, West Germany )