Colour version of "The Longest Day"?

stratasfan

Anyone know if there is a way to get the colour version of "The Longest Day"? I even have an all-regions DVD player . . . :) 

8 hours ago, stratasfan said:

Anyone know if there is a way to get the colour version of "The Longest Day"? I even have an all-regions DVD player . . . :) 

Just my two cents, but this film was recorded in black and white intentionally when color film was readily available. The director wanted to capture the look of authentic news reels. It was a big budget movie in its day. Black and white was an artistic choice and the way this movie was meant to be seen.

Apparently it was filmed in colour. When screened for D-Day vets, the feedback was unanimous that they enjoyed it but it was too real. So, it was released in Black and White. That was something we've heard form a BTS one time. So, not a colourised version, but the original colour version. But that's all I know! :) Just what we heard! 

35 minutes ago, stratasfan said:

Apparently it was filmed in colour. When screened for D-Day vets, the feedback was unanimous that they enjoyed it but it was too real. So, it was released in Black and White. That was something we've heard form a BTS one time. So, not a colourised version, but the original colour version. But that's all I know! :) Just what we heard! 

It only takes very little research to show it was filmed in black and white, colorized in 1994 for VHS release in full screen format instead of wide aspect. One of the great war films with a young Sean Connery. Love the bagpipe scene!

I'm going to ask Sis (who remembers anything way better than I do!) where we heard the thing about it being in colour. This has been years! Could have been the BTS on the old DVD we had. I'm going to see if I can find out!

pathfinder505
11 hours ago, b_hinch said:

It only takes very little research to show it was filmed in black and white, colorized in 1994 for VHS release in full screen format instead of wide aspect. One of the great war films with a young Sean Connery. Love the bagpipe scene!

I have the black and white version but also bought a copy of the colorized version on VHS when it came out.  Not sure it was ever done on DVD.  

• 1 month later...

One of my favorite movies. It was originally filmed in black and white. This was probably cheaper, but it also allowed the intercutting of a few scenes from b&w wartime newsreels. I picked up the color VHS years ago - I was disappointed. I don't think I have it anymore. The only original color of the movie is some behind-the-scenes footage you can see on the British Pathe site taken during the filming - https://www.britishpathe.com/video/filming-the-longest-day/query/longest+day and https://www.britishpathe.com/video/filming-the-longest-day/query/longest+day. There is also a b&w clip of the train sabotage scene being filmed (in daylight, they must have used a "day-for-night" filter on the camera https://www.britishpathe.com/video/VLVARLUBE51M87N5UFL2IJE9N3EO-FRANCE-TRAIN-BLOWN-UP-FOR-ZANUCKS-WAR-FILM-THE-LONGEST-DAY/query/longest+day

A while back I had heard in a documentary they had made an English language version at the same time. After buying yet another DVD I figured out that I had misunderstood what was said. There was a trailer made that had a few scenes in which German actors spoke English (Priller's flight). Just those few scenes.

Tom