M1917 painted white question

phantomfixer

The local AN store has a 1917 shell painted white, flat white, no other markings..the shell has the dome felt pad and one part of the leather chin strap

Paint appears to be vintage...IE not a modern paint job

does not have any CD stickers or other markings..

so the question is...were 1917s painted white camouflage during WWI?

Internet is very limited on white painted 1917s, so I am reaching out to the collectors..

Thanks for any help,

J

Could be a siberian intervention helmet. Usually they had "Russia" stenciled across the top though. I believe some may have just been painted white though. 

1 minute ago, phantomfixer said:

Thanks for the answers guys...greatly appreciated...looks like it will collect more dust at the AN store...

Take a photo next time you're there, and post it. So many possibilities as to why it was painted, but without seeing the helmet, hard to make a assumption. 

White wash seems to have age. Helmet is British as well (split pin), which opens up a whole other world of reasons the paint could have been applied. 

Likely no way of knowing where, when or why. What's are they asking for it, if you don't mind sharing?

His asking price was around 40...I am not a collector of helmets for the most part....but thought the white paint might have been in the camouflage department versus a vet org or CD use..

Thanks for the input

J

For that price you might be able to stick it on eBay and possibly make 10-20 dollars, but I wouldn’t guarantee you would make any money on it. Would not be surprised if it went for less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Civil Defense, as you are on the eastern seaboard. Early Civil Defense equipment was pretty much catch as catch can, and most helmets had no logo or just a decal that could have worn away. The pipeline with official equipment didn't really start up until mid 1942 or later.

....I have a 40mm brass case and was looking for a lamp shade....and did not want to use a camouflage painted shell....if in fact it was camo paint...Vet org or CD I can live with... I found a very cool trench art lamp at auction...and it went to my son...happily...so I figured I needed one too...here is the inspiration...

When I saw the white shell at the AN store, I figured that would be a good candidate...but wanted to make sure it wasn't a collector's piece...

20201226_124817.jpg.455d5dfa4e2c22140f2ecb2ca3ebba60.jpg