Quick Dispatch/Map Case Shoulder Strap/General Purpose Strap Question

huntssurplus

Hello,

Did the WW2 era M1938 Dispatch/Map case use the General Purpose strap as the shoulder strap? Or did it have a specific type of shoulder strap. Also. how rare is the general purpose strap, and how much do they go for usually.

And one more somewhat related question since we are on the subject of shoulder straps, how come the musette bag strap did had basically the opposite type of strap as the general purpose strap. I get that to hook them up to the M1936 suspenders they needed the hooks instead of the rings, but why didn't they design the suspenders to include the hooks instead of the rings? Was there another purpose for the suspenders having the rings i'm not aware of, or did the general purpose strap come into use after the m1936 suspenders and musette bag. And is the musette bag strap also called the general purpose strap, or the musette bag strap? 

Okay was able to find this thread that answered my initial question. However I am still wondering on design reasons for the m1936 suspenders and when the general purpose strap came to be. 

1312403578_quartermastercatalog.jpg.1562274304ac66b85bb2b9b9b525a75a.jpg

this page of the quartermaster catalog posted by @'Flage Guyproved to be very handy! 

I have a couple of G.P. Straps which are modified M1936s. With all the new equipment which became available in 1943, no doubt this was a necessity to amplify the uses for the Carrying Strap. Sometime in 1943 the O.D. Carrying Strap became "limited standard" and was fully replaced by the G.P. Strap.

The M1938 Dispatch Case always had its own carrying strap with snap hooks on both ends. The Marine Corps Case had snap hooks on the Case itself, with its Carrying Strap fitted with D-rings; this was to facilitate hooking the Case to the Cartridge or Pistol Belt if so desired.

Here is an early Army Map Case ("BoyT -41-") with its Carrying strap.

Map Case, early, BoyT '41 #3 USMFB.JPG

11 hours ago, 'Flage Guy said:

I have a couple of G.P. Straps which are modified M1936s. With all the new equipment which became available in 1943, no doubt this was a necessity to amplify the uses for the Carrying Strap. Sometime in 1943 the O.D. Carrying Strap became "limited standard" and was fully replaced by the G.P. Strap.

The M1938 Dispatch Case always had its own carrying strap with snap hooks on both ends. The Marine Corps Case had snap hooks on the Case itself, with its Carrying Strap fitted with D-rings; this was to facilitate hooking the Case to the Cartridge or Pistol Belt if so desired.

Here is an early Army Map Case ("BoyT -41-") with its Carrying strap.

Interesting, so it did have it's own carrying strap. Was it ever used with the GP strap? And I'm guessing the thought with the m1926 musette bag was similar to that of the Marine Corps case as that the hooks allowed for it to be hooked directly to a cartridge or pistol belt? 

If that is the case, are there any known pictures of it being worn in that configuration?