Damaged WW2 Marine helmet with camo cover

manayunkman

Wait. EGAs weren't authorized so they intentionally burned them off? Not cut out or patched over but torched on the helmet? That doesn't make any sense to me except in a "The Three Stooges Join the Marines" way.

Oh, wait, I found it: "Cover, Camo, Revised(heat)"

The burn spots look intentional especially the one in the back.

Your parents aren’t home and you burn dads helmet to make it look cool ?

We did stupid stuff to Militaria as kids running around the neighborhood in German helmets breaking their straps tearing their liners and scratching their decals.

All I can tell you is that it’s my ugly illegitimate baby and I’m not inclined to keep it.

I thought the implication was that perhaps someone had burned off the EGA marking in hopes of selling it as a true ww2 USMC set, and not the post ww2 set that it would obviously be with the EGA present.  Terrible if true, yet we all know if there is money to be made through scamming / fraud someone will try.  

We can speculate all day and never reach any credible end.  

Guessing current ballpark numbers;  

Legit ww2 USMC set with non EGA cover @ $400-1000 ++

Post war USMC set with EGA cover @ $175-250

Speculation.....

Yeah, that's what I thought he meant - the EGAs were intentionally burnt off. That suggestion was poo-poo'd early on.

My cynicism remains intact!

I find it extremely hard to believe that someone decided the best way to attempt to make this cover worth more was to burn off the EGA. Seems like they made a $200 cover max a $200 cover...still except now it looks worse.

I think it’s more likely this helmet was sitting in a shelf somewhere and someone knocked a lit candle onto it or something. Or maybe someone was playing with fire nearby. Maybe someone was playing with their new handheld blowtorch. Maybe someone decided to see what would happen if they sprayed hairspray and put a lighter in the way of the stream. Maybe someone got bored took it into the son and used a magnifying glass to channel the energy of the sun to concentrate enough heat energy to light in on fire.

Suffice to say we don’t know what happened, but whatever did happen, probably happened because it was an accident, or someone playing around, or whatever reason. Dads helmet from the war was probably just sitting on a shelf after he was asked to get it out for his son to play war with it to hear his war stories and then later on down the road something happened to it.

I wouldn’t worry about why the cover is burned, but if it does bother you too much I would be more then happy to take it off your hands haha!

Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least I have one potential buyer?

Bugme? No....

Hunt you’re the man!

I’ll give a certificate of authenticity too.

But what if?

The only what if is what if I’m stuck with this ugly illegitimate baby ?

The question becomes what would you do with it?

Would you have bought the belt and lid?

One last legit question,

Did they use the slit cover in WW2?

Ive read up on it and it seams that there aren’t any photos of the slit cover being used in WW2?

1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

One last legit question,

Ive read up on it and it seams that there aren’t any photos of the slit cover being used in WW2?

Yes they used the slit cover in WW2 - if you pull the liner and show me the beach side flaps I’ll tell you if WW2 issue 

11 hours ago, manayunkman said:

One last legit question,

I've seen photos of the covers with slits being worn in WW2 right here on the forum. Not sure where though ?

Maybe it got caught in a house fire ?

10 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Not going to do that unless I want to ruin the chin strap and throw out the cover. 

Understood,

Then you have what you have pictured

And what I have is a post Korean War USMC helmet that’s  badly damaged.

In the long run what would you do with it?

Keep the cover on it or throw it away?

Keep it with the belt or break it up?

Keep it or sell it?

3 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Keep it or sell it?

If a helmet you are wanting to sell, try and sell it as a complete set. If no one wants it, it’s your helmet to sell any way you see fit.

marty

It's sort of a dead end. May I ask why you bought it - assuming you did? If there were additional pics available and of the belt then to me it looks to have become exactly what it was in the initial few pics. All dating cues could have been seen before buying - no? Was it a needle in the haystack element? Just curious, really.

If you cannot prove the belt goes with the helmet and/or there is no way to prove who wore it, who Murphy was, etc. it likely will never matter in the eye of history what is done' with it - sadly.

LOL I'm waiting for the inevitable outlying, hail-Mary post about how they have seen pics of KW covers used, WWII straps hanging, and M-5s carried in VN so "you never know", or some other fun. It's what collecting is nowadays. Much critical review is considered unagreeable and intolerant to the new and ignorant collector/first-poster.

So hey, what if he was in VN and burning down a hooch and...? Okay rant over.

Seriously, I'd likely just leave it sit or move it on with the correct era identification you have discovered. "All pre-VN parts". It's been fun for a few jokes anyway. The real story will never be known.

P.S. It's amazing how prevalent fire damage was in the last two centuries. Our family had an entire house lost in the 40s, with many other fire, electrocution, and tractor injury/death stories abounding. I also hear this from other non-millennials as well. Burn damage to anything old shouldn't surprise us but it still kinda does.

Thanks for the additional pics and info on the thing.

On 2/4/2021 at 7:05 PM, huntssurplus said:

I find it extremely hard to believe that someone decided the best way to attempt to make this cover worth more was to burn off the EGA. Seems like they made a $200 cover max a $200 cover...still except now it looks worse.

I think it’s more likely this helmet was sitting in a shelf somewhere and someone knocked a lit candle onto it or something. Or maybe someone was playing with fire nearby. Maybe someone was playing with their new handheld blowtorch. Maybe someone decided to see what would happen if they sprayed hairspray and put a lighter in the way of the stream. Maybe someone got bored took it into the son and used a magnifying glass to channel the energy of the sun to concentrate enough heat energy to light in on fire.

Suffice to say we don’t know what happened, but whatever did happen, probably happened because it was an accident, or someone playing around, or whatever reason. Dads helmet from the war was probably just sitting on a shelf after he was asked to get it out for his son to play war with it to hear his war stories and then later on down the road something happened to it.

I wouldn’t worry about why the cover is burned, but if it does bother you too much I would be more then happy to take it off your hands haha!

Hunt

I like reading your nonsense posts.

They amuse me.

owen 

3 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Keep it or sell it?

You are a dealer your sales pitch has been made with a long thread to back up the helmet.

At your next show it will be for sale and you will point to this thread saying  Here look at this thread 

See it is something 

People commented on it.

its combat used bla bla bla 

thread closed 

Owen 

I think it was a Soviet flamethrower sniper who aimed too high.

After the flame hit the back it formed a fireball that skidded around to the front of the helmet where it burned out.

Just to make sure everyone is on the same page.

O is right, it’s important to know when the party is over .

Thank you for coming and please throw your paper cups in the recyclable as you leave.

My apologies if anything was over cooked.

Hunts surplus
Queen of nonsense posts.

Are you the king to my queen?