Aircrew survival kit 1991

The Rooster

Greetings all.

I just picked up this tonight. not sure if its airforce marine corps or navy or army or what ?

The label contents are interesting.

When it comes in, I'l break it open and photograph all the contents.....

:-)

Just kidding.

95.jpg

88.jpg

74.jpg

1.jpg

Thank you !!! I thought it pretty cool !

I put this in the wrong spot wrong title....

Its

Marine Corps.

I found the following info on worthpoint.

USMC Sealed Survival Kit New Old StockSide A: Shelter and Food Gathering Side contains:Fishing Kit, Emergency 4220-00Saw, Finger Ring 5110-00-70-6896Survival Blanket 7210-00Plastic Bag, Zip-Lock 8105-00Candle, Votive 9925-00Snare Wire 9525-00Side B: Escape and Evasion (E & E) Side contains:Fire Starter, Magnesium 4240-0Knife, Pocket 5110-00Signaling Mirror 6350-00Compass, Smoke Chaser 6605-00Plastic Bag, Zip-Lock 8105-00Whistle, Extreme Cold 8465-0Water Bag, Drinking 8466-00Matches, Waterproof 9920-0The SK is designed for use by individuals serving as members of the Ground Combat Element. This SK prevented Marines from having to purchase or requisition their own survival items. This SK enabled a Marine to perform the basic survival tasks of making shelter, gathering food and water and signaling. The SK is a general purpose kit, but it was developed for use in desert; mountain; arctic; and temperate water survival during small boat operations. The intent of the SK is to have Marines carry it when there is a possibility that they will be placed in a rescue or survival situation. Formal school or unit training should allow an individual to learn the specific application of the SK and its individual components. The SK is sealed so that it can be quickly and visually inspected to determine if it is complete. The seal should only be opened when a Marine is confronted with a survival situation. The SK is packaged in a sand colored, abrasion resistant, waterproof outer bag that is heat sealed around the perimeter and center to form two separate sides. Both sides have inner bags that are transparent, waterproof, vapor-proof, and greaseproof. The inner bags are vacuum heat sealed. The two-sided design allows a Marine to carry the SK as a single item in a rucksack, butt pack or folded and placed in a trouser cargo pocket. A Marine can also tear the SKs outer bag in half along the center heat seal and still maintain its storage integrity features. Each half can be carried in the lower pockets of the utility jacket or the Extreme Cold Weather Clothing System (ECWCS) jacket pockets. The components of each side of the SK have been packaged to better accommodate a survival situation. Side A contains those components needed for shelter and food gathering. Side B contains those items a Marine may need to immediately start their escape/evasion and rescue. The overall purpose of the SK is to enhance a Marines chances of survival and rescue for 24 hours and beyond.This kit is New Old Stock and as such is sold as is. All sales final. U.S. Sales only.

These are cool. I picked up a full box of these at a church thrift store. They didn't want to put them out on the floor because of the knife so they sold me the whole box. I keep one in each of my 4x4's and one in each of my hiking packs. I also gave some to my family and friends. Neat item. These are USMC and I wouldn't open it. Use it as intended.

Your worthpoint  information is correct. Those are a USMC item from the early 1990's done for ground troops. They were designed to be cut into each half and each half put into a cargo pocket.  Those kits were done by the Marine Corps themselves in house.  There was a lot of fanfare about how much the Marines saved by doing them themselves rather than contracting for them.  Most of the items are found in aircrew survival vests  so people often incorrectly assume they are aviation items.  

If you open it, you will find the Finger Grip Saw was packed in the fishing kit. Just like you saw in the video.

That is cool. Should get one to throw in the plane. We aren't big time but I did think of survival strategies while fairly low over the Badlands in SD a few years ago. No cell service, nary a car in sight. That would be handy for sure!