WWI PFC patches

stratasfan

Anyone know of a place that shows one of each of the WWI PFC patches that are out there? Design, I mean, not version of same emblem patches. But, I'm working on collecting some of these, but so far I have not found a place online that shows which emblems were used on these patches! These are the round wool or twill patches that have an emblem embroidered or appliqued in the center (i.e. Artilllery, Infantry, QMC, Cook, Saddler, etc.).

Thanks in advance! 

Elizabeth

BILL THE PATCH

S&S firearms. Use to have all of them at one time or Another not sure if there online.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Thanks! I took a look at S&S Firearms, and they only have a few. I think this is going to lead me to start a research thread on this. I might have to get all of mine out and take nice pictures and start something on here! :) Thanks for the help so far! I just am nuts about these patches! 

48 minutes ago, USARV72 said:

Hayes’s book, WWI Collectors Handbook has few bottom of page 11. Here’s 3 from collection all different mfg.

474C0EB3-37DA-48CC-8EFD-94E9D8FC3D59.jpeg

That top Infantry one is really cool, as it is wool appliqued on twill! Rather different! The bottom Infantry is just beautiful! 

One of my favorite reference books for U.S. Army Chevrons is:

U.S. Army Soldiers and Their Chevrons

by U.S. Army By William K. Emerson Ltc.and Roger Bender

51MSgrYQwLL._AC_UL640_QL65_.jpg

This brings to mind a question I am always wondering about! Why are these WWI PFC patches the rank "chevrons"? 

4 minutes ago, Tolzer said:

Here is a really good online reference for Chevrons. Has a complete list of the Chevrons that you may be looking for.

http://www.germandaggers.com/Gallery/USRk.php

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 1.24.19 PM.png

This is it! Thanks! I'm going to be studying this for a bit here! So appreciate you finding this! Look at the pistol and rifle marksman patches! 

Oh . . . I'm stumped on this one . . .what does that word mean? What did an Artiticer do?

image.png

BILL THE PATCH

Pretty sure they fixed all kinds of arms, I think it's spelled wrong, should be artificer.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

The chart had a spelling error. It should be Artificer.

The term Artificer means one who works with and weapons. The War Department created this rank during the Spanish American War.

Infantrymen who wore the crossed hammers were known as artificers, while their artillery counterparts were mechanics.

The chart posted is a good starting point. So let's expand the collection.... there are also examples that were embroidered on a dark blue background.

Numerous examples exist. The reference book listed is a must have for chevron collectors.

13 minutes ago, Tolzer said:

The chart posted is a good starting point. So let's expand the collection.... there are also examples that were embroidered on a dark blue background.

Numerous examples exist. The reference book listed is a must have for chevron collectors.

Does that reference book cover these patches? 

Dark blue background . . . what was the blue for? I'm going to go get mine out and take some pictures to post here. Then I could see what I have! I know most of them, but some are unknown to me. I think they'll be on that chart though! 

14 minutes ago, Tolzer said:

The term Artificer means one who works with and weapons. The War Department created this rank during the Spanish American War.

Infantrymen who wore the crossed hammers were known as artificers, while their artillery counterparts were mechanics.

Thanks for the clarification! Mom was looking that word up, and she was guessing it should have been an f in there! 

So, that patch . . . would it have been used by both Infantry and Artillery, just the position name changed?

Here are most of the ones I have. I'm trying to find the others, as I got a new desk and now nothing is where it had been! -grin-

Looks like the top left is a navy blue one!

I really like the different varieties. My all-time favorite type is like the second down-far left one. Green embroidery on green wool. But, I really like the different styles and the use of the embroidery and applique for the center emblem. 

DSC08093.JPG

The reference book listed does cover the chart that was posted and much more.

During the 1920's insignia makers used the pre-1920's PFC patterns and embroidered those on the dark blue wool disks. Some National Guard and Reservists wore these.

I have a Cavalry and Infantry examples here somewhere, need to find those.

IMG_8335.JPG

Oh . . .so the blue/black ones are 1920s and used by National Guard or Reservists? That is cool! 

I haven't seen a Cavalry one yet! 

Do you know any of the manufactures that made these? It would be interesting to know some of the places that actually made these! 

To answer two of your questions - the round Pfc patches are called "chevrons" because they are insignia of rank, not because of their shape.

Yes, Emerson's book covers many of these, but they are basically grouped by branch.  

• 9 months later...
Primoris Scio

Is there a Veterinary PFC Patch or do they just use the Medical Corps patch?  I have not seen a version with the V superimposed on it like the collar disks.

324539846_VeterinaryCollarDisk.jpg.41526ec40f3784e67440718e4e968ad6.jpg

31 minutes ago, Primoris Scio said:

Is there a Veterinary PFC Patch or do they just use the Medical Corps patch?  I have not seen a version with the V superimposed on it like the collar disks.

324539846_VeterinaryCollarDisk.jpg.41526ec40f3784e67440718e4e968ad6.jpg

I'm not finding any Vet patch in the list in post #7 . . . There's a Farrier, but no Vet.

35 minutes ago, Primoris Scio said:

I can now answer my own question, the Wagoner patch below is the correct one.

1759911870_PFCWagonerPatch-25.jpg.40e44111f8507d1e3941f58a235075c4.jpg

Do I remember that a relative of yours was an Ammo driver? I may have an extra of this patch if you are going to be looking!