7 corps lid

Costa

I reached out earlier to the seller for more info on it and this is what he said. Out of curiosity what do you expect the final price to end at? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164649687002

"Hello. Thanks for looking. Only that it came out of an estate sale in Indiana. Also picked up a Rock ola M1 but other things had already been sold. I tried to identify the owner but was unable. Can anything be found from painted numbers inside? It's a pretty cool helmet I just bought a pretty high dollar pistol so I'm letting this go. Wish I could tell ya more. Thanks for looking."

Burning Hazard

I like the look of this one as well.

Looks like liner was covered in shellac at some point. The shell received a field re-paint (notice the brush marks) and the insignia applied afterwards; looks like the rear white follow me bar may not liked the paint and cracked.

Here are the other pics for records:

H1.jpg

H2.jpg

H3.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

My best guess with it having a late war liner covered in shellac inside the early shell, is most likely a reissued liner later in the war or post war and used for either post war ceremonies or occupation duties.   

Would be nice to ID the laundry number (if to the officer), but does appear to be an enlisted laundry number starting with an "S" vs "0".  But I've seen Officer items before where they still used the first letter of their surname and not the 0. 

12 minutes ago, USMC-RECON0321 said:

My best guess with it having a late war liner covered in shellac inside the early shell, is most likely a reissued liner later in the war or post war and used for either post war ceremonies or occupation duties.   

Would be nice to ID the laundry number (if to the officer), but does appear to be an enlisted laundry number starting with an "S" vs "0".  But I've seen Officer items before where they still used the first letter of their surname and not the 0. 

you bring up the shellaced liner which is what was done during the KW a lot.

3 minutes ago, 644td said:

What was the final price? The listing disappeared from my watch list.

It was over $2000 when I last checked earlier today...

5 minutes ago, 644td said:

What was the final price? The listing disappeared from my watch list.

The link is right in post #2 above.  Sold for $4,605, plus shipping, tax, etc.

2 minutes ago, Blacksmith said:

The link is right in post #2 above.  Sold for $4,605, plus shipping, tax, etc.

I'm curious to hear some of the forum members opinions on the price. Obviously VII Corps had some famous divisions apart of it for famous campaigns like the 101st and 82nd Airborne during the Normandy campaign. However, to me, $4600 seems rather high for a helmet that 1. Is painted at the Corps Level and thus likely was not worn by anyone in these divisions, 2. is not identified to an individual 3. Is without any provenance at all besides "it came out of an estate sale' which was from a message on eBay. 

Just now, huntssurplus said:

I'm curious to hear some of the forum members opinions on the price. Obviously VII Corps had some famous divisions apart of it for famous campaigns like the 101st and 82nd Airborne during the Normandy campaign. However, to me, $4600 seems rather high for a helmet that 1. Is painted at the Corps Level and thus likely was not worn by anyone in these divisions, 2. is not identified to an individual 3. Is without any provenance at all besides "it came out of an estate sale' which was from a message on eBay. 

Fair observations Hunt.  I suspect that somebody - or a few of them - believe they ID’d the original owner from the laundry #.  There couldn’t have been that many Majors in 7th Corps proper.  

Fair observations Hunt.  I suspect that somebody - or a few of them - believe they ID’d the original owner from the laundry #.  There couldn’t have been that many Majors in 7th Corps proper.  

I guess that is a likely possibility. Maybe a forum member was able to get it, and if so let’s hope they do post it. I do think the helmet is original, but without a name and provenance you can never be certain with any painted helmet. I’m sure the helmet coming out of Indiana though will be a helpful clue to any searching for the ID.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

personally, people criticize ebay, but this surely still sold slightly lower than what would have been from a larger militaria dealer