Challenge coins

ArtillaryMan

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2022 at 2:39 PM, Boy Howdy said:

Bought this from forum member CHASEUSA11B.

It is pewter colored and non magnetic. 

Any of you Jump Masters familiar with this coin? 

Given upon graduation?

Thanks in advance.

processed-a93d0b7b-a56f-45f7-ae5d-22420c9e6d45_oDX8Px18.jpeg

processed-bc2c5480-a498-4146-98fd-0070bcf0ff3c_79e8gcI2.jpeg

processed-e65d4ea2-a2b7-4b65-816a-f113ebb92a2d_8QXT5AUo.jpeg

Pardon my ignorance of Airborne history, but why is there a U in Airborne above? 

5 hours ago, AASLT said:

Pardon my ignorance of Airborne history, but why is there a U in Airborne above? 

I never noticed that before.

Maybe it was made in Europe?

Thanks for pointing that out AASLT

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Basic Rifleman
On 5/11/2022 at 8:28 PM, rtd_sf_eng said:

There are marks before the word "STERLING" but I have not been able to figure what they stand for. 

The "r" before Sterling is a Robbins Co. makers mark. Robbins made coins in the late 1960's and early 70's in Sterling most notable for NASA that were flown in space and now sell for a substantial amount of money. 

On a side note, 10th 7FG also made a coin made by Robbins around the same time as the 7th and bears the same Robbins and Sterling marks.  

That's good information to know.  Now I'll keep a lookout for the coin.  My first coin was from the 10th after I got there in July 1972.

Larry

Gbro, Love the design of the NCO canidate course challenge coin you posted. Never seen it before. In 1969, I was in Basic Training at Ft. Benning. Then, went on to Ft. Sill (AIT). Later, Vietnam.  The challenge coins I posted are part of my shadow box.

IMG_3122.JPG

VNAMVET70,

Have you posted an image of your Shadow Box?

I don't really know what I will do with my new Challenge Coin but I did use it when I sent a  Thank You to the Brother Veteran and did a pencil coin tracing on the letter.

7 hours ago, Gbro said:

VNAMVET70,

Have you posted an image of your Shadow Box?

I don't really know what I will do with my new Challenge Coin but I did use it when I sent a  Thank You to the Brother Veteran and did a pencil coin tracing on the letter.

No. I have not posted an image of my shadow box because there are several items with my name on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Two challenge coins from 1/11th ACR, the reverse depicts their role as an OPFOR regiment. 

The one on the left is about 1.5" and the one on the right about 2". I've had them for about 20 years, so I know they are that old! 😄  I think the one on the left is older, probably from the mid-1990s, and I think the one on the right is from 1999-2002. 

c1b.jpg.a262e909ccadf1d5457fb5acd4a81a62.jpg

c1d.jpg.e4e50c273f93fe25c68002daf1f98456.jpg

The detail is pretty impressive on the smaller one! 

c1c.jpg.fdbc296943dbb904627f5b71c3aa9aea.jpg

Unfortunately the front of the 1.5" one has some enamel chipped out and missing from the crest. 
15e.jpg.47a15cfb6c1655a8c524901150bc2d7b.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
triplecanopy

This is the challenge coin from Lima Company 75th Infantry (RANGERS) 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile). 

Coin was made after Vietnam to honor all those who served in that unit.

IMG_3326.JPG

triplecanopy

Two older 101st Airborne Division coins. The one on the right was previously shown, but the one on the left is pre-Vietnam circa 1965

I believe. Note that the "Vietnam" banner is missing from the patch side.

IMG_3329.JPG

IMG_3330.JPG

triplecanopy

This is the coin of the 2nd Squadron 17th Air Cavalry 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). This unit BTW was the Division Recon Force during Vietnam. L Co Rangers was once part of this organization. A great combat team!

IMG_3331.JPG

IMG_3332.JPG

triplecanopy

These are 1979 era 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne) coins. These have the Vietnam era flash on the beret and on the flip side.

That is also the current flash since the all black one was replaced.

IMG_3333.JPG

triplecanopy

This is the 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne) coin from the 1986-1990 time frame. I don't know if this design is still in use. 1st SFG(A)(-) is located at Fort Lewis, Washington. At that time 1st Group Headquarters and 2nd & 3rd Battalions were stationed there. I believe that they have added another battalion since. 1st SFG(A) Battalion was located on Okinawa in Japan.

IMG_3334.JPG

triplecanopy

Here is the 1st Battalion 1st SFG(A) coin from the 1986-1990 era. I don't know if this design is still being used.

1st SF Battalion is located in Okinawa, Japan. The "First in Asia" is emblazoned on a TORII which is a welcome gate you often see in Japan.

IMG_3335.JPG