WW2 USN Solar Still

Phfly1010

I am buying one of the USN pilot survival solar stills, the one in the light blue tin with the two metal straps and a blue anchor stamp showing it was inspected. My questions is are there any dangerous chemical substances inside of the tin? I also hope to pick up the same product that was wrapped in clear plastic, not in the blue tin. Just want to know what to expect concerning the items or substances in the still. Trying to avoid bringing dangerous items into my house.

95889381_1_x.jpg

None of the Solar Stills have any chemicals in them.  They are in basically a plastic structure you blow up that becomes a green house. Then you put sea water in, seal it up and the heat from the sun evaporates the sea water which distills the salt out of the sea water.   The clean water vapor collects on the upper surfaces of the still where it condenses back into pure water. The spherical like shape of the still then allows the pure water to drain back down the sides of the still into a collection basin in the bottom where you drink from.  There is usually a drinking water tube from the clean basin to the outside of the still so you don't have to open the still to drink and start the whole process of evaporation over.  They were designed to be tied to the raft and float along behind it. They are a timely process, but will purify water.  

Do a search for solar still on the Forum and you will find several other solar stills and information on what kits they were used in.

The only difference between the two are the containers. The one on the left is the expedited procurement type with vinylite packaging. The same solar still was used on the right but with a more durable tin container. The stills themselves are merely a vinylite bladder, non-hazardous. 

Here are some grainy illustrations of the solar still contained in the above packages. They are manually inflated.

Notation A or (a) is pointing to the black sponges which filter the salt.

still.jpg.5f00c83c164f14d89fd3b4639a4b010a.jpg

The "T" shaped bladders are the reservoir for fresh filtered water.

130344461_still2.jpg.89b59f89582757d8a7e07188152949a9.jpg