Major LEE O. WITZENBURG Grouping - found under a tree

GreenStar67

I found this Air Medal and Photo under our Christmas tree a few weeks back. This is not my normal type of military collectable but since it was a gift from my wife I will hang on to it🙂 Very complete, came with ribbons and battle stars and photo - the reverse of the medal is engraved with LEE O. WITZENBURG. The seller said told her that he had purchased from an estate sale. I know, what an awesome wife actually getting me something cool and not made in China for Christmas! The only thing I was able to find on Major Lee O. Witzenburg  that he was born August 17th, 1911 and died December 26th, 1971 everything else I know of the man is what is written on the back of the photo and the photo itself. The photo is stamped on the reverse OAKLAHOMA CITY 2 OKLA. - I assume that is where the photo was taken.  Apparently he was in the 8th Air Force during WW2 and served in Europe, Africa and Mid East campaigns. He was awarded Bronze Star Ribbon and Croix De Guerre Air Medal.  Address on the reverse show his address as living in shaker Heights, Ohio.

This may sound like a dumb question but is a " Bronze Star Ribbon" the same as receiving as Bronze star"?  Would be nice what he did during these campaigns.

Enjoy, Thanks

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

6.JPG

Old Crow 1986
1 hour ago, GreenStar67 said:

but is a " Bronze Star Ribbon" the same as receiving as Bronze star"?

Yes, it is.

WitzenburgLO_908848_BStar.jpg.b458a71a1735fbdd0aa62cf0dc8f720e.jpg

Bob,

Wow, those are really great stories. He must have been the real deal. Flying planes out of fields in England by attaching rockets to give them the additional needed speed on a short run - those men must have had nerves of steel. Getting those planes back in use had to be a great importance. I like how they were using the lights from people holding flashlights to find their path back to airfield. The people on the ground must have known they were friendly. Thanks for pointing me to those links. I have nothing but admiration for their guts and their ingenuity. Thank you

WAHOOMAN,

Are you and Cleveland Indians fan? Here is another image of the reverse. A small Diamond with "GI" is the only marking that I see - other than his name. Not sure what that means? maybe the manufacturer? Thx

20210120_205916.jpg.97a117560d727a1ec957ea642b225f49.jpg

2 hours ago, GreenStar67 said:

WAHOOMAN,

Are you and Cleveland Indians fan? Here is another image of the reverse. A small Diamond with "GI" is the only marking that I see - other than his name. Not sure what that means? maybe the manufacturer? Thx

20210120_205916.jpg.97a117560d727a1ec957ea642b225f49.jpg

That appears to be the maker mark for the government contract maker Silverman Brothers.  That Air Medal is much later than the box.  Whereas the box is for a WWII Air Medal, the medal itself looks to be a 3/8” broach, which would make it 1990s or later.  It’s hard to tell from the pics.  If it’s 1/2”, it’s a little earlier, but not more than the 1960s-1980s.  I would guess that his medals got reissued at some point, and somebody stuck the later medal in a WWII box.