I've never seen one of these belts before, a weighted US Navy dive belt with diver's knife?

6th.MG.BN

I can't remember ever seeing a US Navy weighted divers belt like this before? RARE WW 2 MORSE DIVING KNIFE AND PRE-WW 2 WEIGHTED DIVING BELT- CLEAN ORIGINAL | eBay

Ken

That is the Navy's Lightweight Belt, specified for use with the Desco "Jack Browne" Mask with its accompanying Dry Suit.

Looks like somebody replaced the old saddle leather with heavy fire hose (?). If I collected diving equipment, I'd give it some serious thought.

Here it is in Desco's catalogue; both Morse and Desco turned out the same products, and Desco recently bought the old Morse company.

Weight Belts #1 USMFB.jpeg

44 minutes ago, 'Flage Guy said:

That is the Navy's Lightweight Belt, specified for use with the Desco "Jack Browne" Mask with its accompanying Dry Suit.

Looks like somebody replaced the old saddle leather with heavy fire hose (?). If I collected diving equipment, I'd give it some serious thought.

Here it is in Desco's catalogue; both Morse and Desco turned out the same products, and Desco recently bought the old Morse company.

Weight Belts #1 USMFB.jpeg

Thanks for the info. I thought it looked to well made to be just a put-together.

Ken

This Belt can also be used with heavy "deep-sea" gear (the Belt for the heavy rigs is at lower left above) on some jobs.

The Belt below was modified by the removing the leather harnesses and replacing them with 1/2" nylon rope, which is a

more practical rig when used with a "hard hat".

Austin job #10.jpeg

Here is the old Desco Jack Browne Suit, rigged as prescribed by the Navy, with the Weight Belt in question. They still have these available!

Jack Browne Shallow Water Suit #1.jpg

• 11 months later...

I found a Desco Heavy Leather on the bottom of a rail system to launch vessels at the Jacksonville Atlantic Marine yard in 1995. We were replacing the rail and welding, I happened to step on it...Sold it to a buddy of mine for 200.00USD. The top one is a home made rig using Desco parts. Dive knives are not that rare, problem is people who have no clue all of a sudden become experts and ask astronomical prices for them. 300.00 tops and that is mint condition.