M1917a1s in North Africa

Yankeeman

I’ve had people tell me every now and then that Kellys were used in North Africa and while i have no doubt in my mind that a few ended up over there, i have yet to see a photo of US troops wearing them and i was wondering if anyone here could help me. Also if you have a kelly which which can be proven to have been used in North Africa free feel to post it as anything helps. 

They were evidently worn by Nurses for a spell, don;t know for how long, here's one with what will be a French Net of the type worn by many French Colonial Troops throughout most of the war (IE they turn up being worn in Italy and France in 43-44).

image.png.4722c11a47a3de49f8840635fd7b83c6.pngimage.png.9f3ee2c6bde1eb5db6746632218870ac.png

USMC-RECON0321

I've seen that picture before and that net is GREAT on the Kelly helmet.  Anyone know if that is a manufactured net (maybe foreign) or most likely hand made? 

9 hours ago, USMC-RECON0321 said:

I've seen that picture before and that net is GREAT on the Kelly helmet.  Anyone know if that is a manufactured net (maybe foreign) or most likely hand made? 

French, field made no doubt, these nets are seen being worn by them, normally on their Adrian Helmets in Tunisia, in the Cassino area in Italy, and later in Southern France, though less so more and more as the war went on in lae 44-45.

10 hours ago, USMC-RECON0321 said:

but man look at that red cross on the liner..gotta be fake its so bright... 

1 hour ago, doyler said:

but man look at that red cross on the liner..gotta be fake its so bright... 

Absolutely fake.   

Only a medic helping to milk a goat would wear...  oh, nevermind...