49th Mass Port Hudson Medal

d024fdd13afd6868559c95188956718b.jpg

82329c4d69e396a15069a5dbe4959bdb.jpg

My newest civil war piece, a medal for the Siege of Port Hudson, Louisiana. The medal bares the likeness of Colonel WF Bartlett of the 49th Mass. I believe gold washed examples like mine were awarded to officers in the 49th Massachusetts Regiment. The Siege of Port Hudson is special to me as it is the first battle where black soldiers participated in a significant combat role. In fact I have an ancestor, an escaped slave, who fought in one of the black regiments at the Siege.

The Siege of Port Hudson

After the capture of New Orleans in 1862 the town of Port Hudson was all that stood between the Union and control of the lower Mississippi. In concert with Grant’s siege of Vicksburg Gen’l Nathaniel Banks besieged Port Hudson. The outnumbered rebel force put up a stout defense, repelling three bloody assaults. On July 9 1863, after two months of siege the Rebels surrendered. The fall of Port Hudson and Vicksburg split the Confederacy in two. With these twin defeats, alongside Gettysburg the fate of the Confederacy was sealed.

The 49th at Port Hudson

On May 27, the 49th Massachusetts took part in the first assault on Port Hudson. A call was made for 200 volunteers for what was known as a "forlorn hope"—a storming party to lead the division's charge and lay down planks to allow passage over ditches and trenches. The 49th Massachusetts supplied 65 of the 200 for this dangerous duty. The rest of the regiment advanced with the main body of the division. During the assault on May 27, the extremely rugged ground and tangle of felled trees proved too difficult and neither the storming party nor the main assault made sufficient progress. The 49th Massachusetts reached the foot of the Confederate earthworks gained the most advanced position of any unit in their division that day. The regiment lost 16 killed and 64 wounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USCapturephotos

What a great piece! I don’t believe I’ve ever seen one before. I also really enjoyed reading about your ancestor! I had several ancestors who also fought for the Union. When I was a little boy in the 1970s my grandmother shared memories of when she was a little girl and my veteran ancestors had shared stories with her like “trading newspapers and tobacco with the Rebs”. Are you familiar at all with the famous training camp for African American soldiers just outside of Philadelphia in what is now called Cheltenham? There is a tiny village museum there dedicated to these brave Union men.

Thanks again for sharing this piece with us!

Paul

Thanks Paul! Always nice to have a personal connection to a peace. USCT militaria is for the most part out of my price range rn so I was pretty excited to find this medal. I'm not familiar with the training camp you mentioned, I'll have to look it up! Always enjoying learning more about the USCT

Kyle

USCapturephotos

I know the camp was on the property of Abolitionist Lucretia Mott. I think the camp was called Camp Penn but will double check later today. Have a great day!

Paul

USCapturephotos
1 hour ago, USCapturephotos said:

I know the camp was on the property of Abolitionist Lucretia Mott. I think the camp was called Camp Penn but will double check later today. Have a great day!

Paul

Good morning Kyle. I just double checked and was indeed called "Camp William Penn". Take a look when you get the chance. 

Paul