Guidon Flag WWI or WWII?

fordmustanggt_350

everforward
13 hours ago, patches said:

These are the WWI Guidons for the 101st Ammunition Train 26th Division, the one with the Crossed Cannons may be a Post WWI one from the 20-30s.

101att.PNG

101 at.PNG

Any idea where this picture was taken...?

1 hour ago, everforward said:

Any idea where this picture was taken...?

One of the guys pictured in that photo is a member here, I'll ping him (I don't remember where the photo was taken). 

PortraitofWar

Hey! That's actually me in the photo. They were taken in the basement of the Vermont Historical Society in Barre, VT. I'm there with the statehouse curators checking out civil war flags and WWI guidons. 

PortraitofWar
43 minutes ago, Mr.Jerry said:

I wanna know what's in those other rolls!

Tons of Civil War flags!

4 hours ago, PortraitofWar said:

Hey! That's actually me in the photo. They were taken in the basement of the Vermont Historical Society in Barre, VT. I'm there with the statehouse curators checking out civil war flags and WWI guidons. 

Wow, what a coincidence.

everforward
16 hours ago, PortraitofWar said:

Nice facility, looks pretty squared-away.....

tdurbinmas
On 5/31/2022 at 4:54 PM, PortraitofWar said:

Tons of Civil War flags!

Seems like many States have historical centers or museum collections with tons of old flags. Sadly they are kept safely stored, but out of sight

Salvage Sailor

Some of the eastern and midwest state capitol rotundas/lobbys/galleries have civil war flags on display

PortraitofWar

They had them on display for years but they became sun bleached and damaged from hanging for so long with little conservation. Anyone can request to see them but you have to make an appointment. 

• 8 months later...

Here is a WWI guidon for the 130th Infantry Regt, ILL NTL GRD, "4th Illinois".

This guidon measurements are 27" by 41". The field is made of 2 panels made of wool with a silk applique of the crossed riffles with the "130" over "A".

There is a period silk streamer for 100% attendence for Camp Grant.

This unit saw a Support duty with the "Punitive Expeditionary Force" during 1917. They also fought in France.

The 130th Inf was disbanded in 1919 from Camp Grant.

This is a private purchase piece as there is not a Philadelphia Depot, Quartermaster Corps, US ARMY tag within the upper or lower sleeve.

Screenshot_20230220-004201.png

Screenshot_20230220-004219.png

Screenshot_20230220-004236.png

Vneal, This guidon may be pre-WW2, but according to my research I believe that it is post WWI.  At the time swallow tail flags were generally reserved for mounted organizations (this was changed prior to WW2 when swallow trails were adopted for all companies) and rifle companies used signal flags as markers (although this is  most often seen in organizations that existed prior to the general mobilization).  During WWI the infantry used crossed 1903s as its insignia, after the war they adopted the flintlock (1923 of memory serves).

• 2 months later...
illinigander

The Illinois National Guard had their summer camp at Camp Grant during the 20's & '30's.  The 130th Inft. was a guard unit from Chicago.  There were many photo post cards that were sent home by guard members.

illinigander

• 5 months later...

Here’s a funny looking M1895 Service Guidon manufactured by the Philadelphia Depot, Quartermaster Corps, US ARMY for the 323d Field Artillery Regiment. 
This piece was used by the unit but the crossed cannons are inverted. 

WWI M1885 Service Guidon; “F” BTRY, 323rd Field Artillery Regt, 158 Field Artillery Brigade, 83rd DIV AEF

For your consideration is this beautiful WWI American Expeditionary Force M1895 Field Artillery Guidon.

This is a “F” Battery, 323rd Field Artillery Regiment, National Army Guidon manufactured by the Philadelphia Depot, Quartermaster Corps, US Army circa 1917.

This is a service guidon made of wool bunting with appliqué silk devices. 

This piece measures 27” by 41”.

HISTORY:

The history of the 323rd Regiment of Light Field Artillery begins on August 29, 1917, when seventy-five officers, commissioned at the first Officers' Training Camp at Fort Benjamin Harrison, Ind., reported at Camp Sherman, Chillicothe, Ohio, to form the nucleus around which the Regiment was later organized. According to the plans for the organization of the National Army, this unit was a part of the 158th Field Artillery Brigade, 83rd Division. The latter was under the command of Major General Edwin F. Glenn, who had been at the head of the Officers' Training Camp at Fort Benjamin Harrison.

IMG_1100.jpeg

IMG_1101.jpeg

This WWI M1885 Ceremonial Artillery Guidon is a unique piece that will make a great addition to any militaria collection. The guidon features the letter "B" and the insignia for BTTRY 9th Field Artillery Regiment, making it a great historical item for collectors interested in the United States' involvement in World War I. The guidon is an original piece from the period and is in good condition for its age. It would make a great display piece for those interested in military history.

Guidon is Silk and measures 41” by 27”. This guidon is double sided. This piece was tailored in Hawaii circa 1916.

• 1885 U.S. Army Regulation 10 reverts the Field Artillery guidons back to the 1834 Artillery guidon design of Yellow devices on a field of Scarlet Red. The measurements of these guidons are 27” by 41”.

• During 1895, U.S. Army Regulation Each battery of Artillery will have a silken guidon that measures 27 inches by 41 inches ...to be used only in battle, campaign, or on occasions of ceremony." The regulation further states: "Each battery of Artillery will also have a service guidon made of wool bunting or other suitable material" which was for daily use.

9th Field Artillery Regiment history 

The 9th Field Artillery Regiment was formed from elements of the 1st Field Artillery Regiment in Hawaii in 1916. By 1919, the regiment was stationed at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. 

The regiment was inactivated there on 1 September 1921. Although the regimental headquarters was inactive from 1921 through 1927, the regiment's 1st Battalion was active from 1922 to 1927, with elements at Fort Des Moines, Iowa and Fort Riley, Kansas. Although inactive, the regiment was reassigned from the 7th Division to the 9th Division in 1927. 

NOTE : This particular guidon was tailored in Hawaii. 

IMG_1095.jpeg

IMG_1096.jpeg

• 3 months later...
Michael the Young AEF Guy

For your consideration.

Company D, 16th Infantry Regiment, 1st Division. With crude hand-cut numerals. A privately made example with the silk blue worn heavily over time. Whether this was strictly stateside use or went with them overseas I cannot say. Company D was in the famous parade through the streets of Paris in July 1917, which included the entire first battalion, 16th infantry regiment. It's been framed with museum-grade glass by the previous owner.

IMG_3513.jpeg

Here's a closeup of the numerals.

IMG_3514.jpeg