Reinforced musette strap?

artu44

A french buddy posted on our french forum this odd musette strap. It's overstitched again and again maybe to reiforce it. At first sight I've imagined a Bubba job bur manufacturer markings are inked over the stitching. Any clue?

post-67-1232989454.jpg

post-67-1232989465.jpg

Greg Robinson

The late war M1936 field bag was designed to carry the intrenching shovel so the strap had to handle more weight. That's as good a guess as I can make at the moment. :D

Greg

Johan Willaert

It looks like it's the late-war Strap, Carrying, General Purpose, which was designed for heavier use than the Strap, Carrying, M1936.

The Musette strap has two rings, while this GP strap has two hooks...

I have seen several of those and IIRC all had this kind of stitching.

I have one of these that was cut in half and used to make straps to convert a mountain ruck into a backpack..It was done during the Korean War.. I'll try to get some pics of it.. My strap is hbt material that is re-inforced.. I also thought it was home made as any markings are loooong gone.. The only ones are very feint and on the bag itself IIRC. Oddballs like these turn up. I recently was given one of these D ring end utility straps in OD7..Neat item and nice to see that mine was an issue item, not a post war job.

Fins.

Correction.. The ones on the backpack are D rings too.. Otherwise, they are just like your strap except mine doesn't have the line of stitching under the date on your.. Mine only has the small box with the X stitch.. Still lookin for my camera.

craig_pickrall

Those straps come with the late war version of the universal ammo bag. Those bags were larger than the early war bags and made to carry more weight. I have picked these straps up on the loose but I bought several of the universal bags in new condition as they came from the factory and they all had these straps folded up inside.

If you look closely at these straps you will see they are made of folded canvas not webbing like most of them. The stitching is to hold the canvas layers together so you don't have a canvas tube. It is the same reason quilts are quilted.

Those straps come with the late war version of the universal ammo bag. Those bags were larger than the early war bags and made to carry more weight. I have picked these straps up on the loose but I bought several of the universal bags in new condition as they came from the factory and they all had these straps folded up inside.

Yup! I currently have one of these ammo bags with this exact strap.. thumbsup.gif

I remember to have seen some greek US material reinforced that way.I will check my picture back up later.

no...it's not greek modified...is just a US production variation..the greek copy is a heringbow style