1957 Dated M-1956 Universal Small Arms Ammo Pouches

DiGilio

I have a pair of 1957 dated M-1956 universal small arms pouches. I noticed they were a bit different than the later pre-1961 pouches. The grommet in the canvas closure is different and the snap on the grenade holder strap is bigger. The biggest difference is the markings though. It just has the date (16 Dec 1957), the manufacture and a number. I havent seen any other M-1956 gear marked like this, but I dont bother looking in every M-1956 piece. Does anyone have any other M-1956 pouches or gear like this or know how common they are?

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg

1957 dated M-1956 pouch (left) next to 1959 dated one.

IMG_2582.jpg

IMG_2585.jpg

Hi,

very nice early M-56 pouchs you got there!,

I never saw these early kind of M-56 pouches before!, there must be very rare definitely.

Thanks for showing them!

Mike

I have a pair of 1957 dated M-1956 universal small arms pouches. I noticed they were a bit different than the later pre-1961 pouches. The grommet in the canvas closure is different and the snap on the grenade holder strap is bigger. The biggest difference is the markings though. It just has the date (16 Dec 1957), the manufacture and a number. I havent seen any other M-1956 gear marked like this, but I dont bother looking in every M-1956 piece. Does anyone have any other M-1956 pouches or gear like this or know how common they are?

Did you buy those from me on ePay? I sold an identical matched pair of 1957 dated ones a few months back. Also sold a pair of 1958 dated M-1956 LCE suspenders that I also had [they went to a gentleman in Asia].

those are a nice pair of M1956 Universal Small Arms Ammunition Pouches, they were primarily used for holding a bandoleer of M1 ammunition and or 3 magazines of M14 rifle ammo... although they were too deep for the short M16 clips they were the standard ammo pouch for the M16 magazine. a sock or first aid bandage or something would have been stuffed into the bottom to raise the clips up. the strips on the side were used for attaching hand grenades. they were introduced in 1957 These are the earliest variation of this pouch, it is made of canvas and has a metal front plate to protect the ammunition from fragments and a grommet through the securing tab. These were replaced in 1962 with a pouch of the same size but without the metal plate and tab grommet. This gives a a crumpled appearance when empty. A smaller size of pouch still made of canvas appeared in late 1967 to early 1968. These were designed for easier access to the shorter M16 20 round magazine.

as far as rare im not sure i found a couple pairs easy enough... cheap enough.

those are a nice pair of M1956 Universal Small Arms Ammunition Pouches, they were primarily used for holding a bandoleer of M1 ammunition and or 3 magazines of M14 rifle ammo... although they were too deep for the short M16 clips they were the standard ammo pouch for the M16 magazine. a sock or first aid bandage or something would have been stuffed into the bottom to raise the clips up. the strips on the side were used for attaching hand grenades. they were introduced in 1957 These are the earliest variation of this pouch, it is made of canvas and has a metal front plate to protect the ammunition from fragments and a grommet through the securing tab. These were replaced in 1962 with a pouch of the same size but without the metal plate and tab grommet. This gives a a crumpled appearance when empty. A smaller size of pouch still made of canvas appeared in late 1967 to early 1968. These were designed for easier access to the shorter M16 20 round magazine.

as far as rare im not sure i found a couple pairs easy enough... cheap enough.

cannot hold 3 M14 mags....its for 2 mags..the M14 mag is a big/thick item...

I was under the impression that the front plate in the pre-62 pouches was there to maintain accessability to M1 rifle clips as you neared the bottom. And by 1961 enough M14s were in service that this plate was no longer neccessary.

Any ideas?

I was under the impression that the front plate in the pre-62 pouches was there to maintain accessability to M1 rifle clips as you neared the bottom. And by 1961 enough M14s were in service that this plate was no longer neccessary.

Any ideas?

i apologize if anything i posted is ever incorrect i know nothing for certain but only post what knowledge i can share, anyone who knows better or has corrections to anything i ever post please feel free to correct me, i would rather be called out on a mistake than walk around with false information in my head for my own reference. thats why i come here to learn and share what little i know or think i "know" w00t.gif

thanks

--shawn