Some production line photo's of jeeps and the people who made them

P-59A

Of the photo's I posted these in my opinion are the best. Those of you lucky enough to own jeeps can look at these photo's and know who made your jeep. It's grandmother's, wife's and daughter's and everyone else . I am sure after the great depression they were happy to have jobs and I can see the pride they took in their work. Note they are dressed in everyday clothes and doing the work that needed to be done. Outstanding people, everyone of them.

fa5bf36519a489a6fbb535b4147c5664--jeep-willys-jeep-jeep.jpg

j1wwIIapwillys-44.jpg

image.jpg

Great photos.  Who doesn't like looking at jeeps?

Your very first photo, however, looks like a unit maintenance shop.  Believe me, I've seen many of them.

That photo of the crated jeeps with the company markings is really unique.  I did not realize they would go to that much effort during wartime. 

Outstanding photos.  Best I've seen of WWII Jeep production.  As mentioned above, the photo of the crated Jeeps is fantastic!!

Thanks for sharing, P-51A!!

Steve

52 minutes ago, gwb123 said:

Great photos.  Who doesn't like looking at jeeps?

Your very first photo, however, looks like a unit maintenance shop.  Believe me, I've seen many of them.

That photo of the crated jeeps with the company markings is really unique.  I did not realize they would go to that much effort during wartime. 

That is exactly as you say. I thought I would open with that shot and end with the rows of jeeps post war.

Great pics. I too noticed the women dressed in everyday dresses just doing what had to be done. I know they knew their picture were being taken but it looked like nobody hated to be at work. Again great pictures, thanks for posting.

Ken

13 minutes ago, earlymb said:

I think the pic with the crated jeeps could be post-war, as are some of the other pics. Great photos!

Mmmm, that is clearly a wartime jeep in a crate> That photo of the Willy's crates on the flat car may well be post war. I thought about it before posting, but what the heck...its a good photo.

jeep-in-crate-christmasreduce.jpg

A good number of WW2 jeeps (but not all) were shipped in crates, and that didn't stop after the war. Military shipping crates were stenciled with the official nomenclature:

gpw_crated_1.gif

12 minutes ago, earlymb said:

A good number of WW2 jeeps (but not all) were shipped in crates, and that didn't stop after the war. Military shipping crates were stenciled with the official nomenclature:

I assume they looked like this when the crate was broken down.

gpw_crated_1.gif

14207828_970959739694169_6347873875916379737_o.jpg

2 hours ago, robinb said:

The women are working on early CJ-2A civilian jeeps. Notice the tail gates that did not come on WW2 military Jeeps.

I do not own a jeep, so I didn't catch that. I did look the photo's over again and I can only find one photo with the women working on jeeps with tail gates. Thanks for the heads up.

There are a number of early post-war pics mixed in there, but they are equally fascinating. Willys started working on a civilian version of the jeep in 1944, and the first prototypes appeared before the war's end.

I have an early production Willys 'slatgrill' MB. I would love to spend a day on that junkyard, just me and my toolbox... Those pics were made in The Philippines, shortly after the end of the war and I think a lot of those jeeps were refurbished and served in Korea, while others were turned into 'Jeepny' taxis! :)

My normal thing is aircraft. I posted a grip of B-25 production pics and one of the comments made was by a guy lamenting there were no jeep production line photo's. I did a search and posted these. 

General Apathy
4 hours ago, P-59A said:

My normal thing is aircraft. I posted a grip of B-25 production pics and one of the comments made was by a guy lamenting there were no jeep production line photo's. I did a search and posted these. 

Haahahhaaaa I wasn't actually lamenting that there were no Jeep photos in your excellent aircraft presentation. ;)

I WAS lamenting the fact that there are not any comparable Jeep photo's to be found anywhere of the superior detailed quality of the aircraft photos you posted. 

Given that there were over 650,000 of the WWII Iconic Jeep manufactured, there are only about the same two dozen production line photos that regularly show up . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

but thanks for getting this Jeep album of photo's started. ^_^

cheers lewis.

10 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Haahahhaaaa I wasn't actually lamenting that there were no Jeep photos in your excellent aircraft presentation. ;)

I WAS lamenting the fact that there are not any comparable Jeep photo's to be found anywhere of the superior detailed quality of the aircraft photos you posted. 

Given that there were over 650,000 of the WWII Iconic Jeep manufactured, there are only about the same two dozen production line photos that regularly show up . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

but thanks for getting this Jeep album of photo's started. ^_^

cheers lewis.

.LOLOLLLOL Hey Lewis, Context is the problem with reading things. You know what you meant and I am stuck with assuming I know what you meant.  I hope others add to this. I only did a surface search. I know more is out there. Yours David

8 hours ago, USARV72 said:

Nice pics, OHSA would have had a cow, or 2-3, lol

LOLOLLOL Why would you mention OSHA? Talk about agency's that over complicate everything. Don't get me wrong, I work construction and safety is always a concern, but good grief! When did common sense stop being common?

There were several halftrack-jeep prototypes constructed and one Willys-engined armoured tracked vehicle, but I have never seen this one before... Interesting! :)

Used to be responsible for OSHA compliance. IMHO more workers have been injured since they started in 1969. pm me me for a good joke about them from back then. Agree, common sense is not common any more, however the govt. needs to stay out of business/ mfg.