WWII Helmet I picked up today, Unknown to me marking on front?

USMC_ROB

Hello folks! I picked up this M1 helmet today, Front seem, swivel bail, I believe it is a McCord. I have no idea what the marking is on the front, if it is U.S. I'm stumped. If it is a foreign marking, then a story from the seller might be true. Waiting on some one here to help. 

WWII helmet 1.JPG

WWII helmet 2.JPG

WWII helmet 3.JPG

1 minute ago, USMC_ROB said:

Thank You doyler! Any tips on safely preserving this helmet? As can be seen, it is fairly rusty. 

I am not Doyler, but the tip is to do nothing.  Keep it in a low-humidity environment (40% or less), and it will be fine.  No oil, no wax, no nothing.  Guys get the urge to do stuff to helmets like this, and end up destroying what value is left. 

19 hours ago, Blacksmith said:

I am not Doyler, but the tip is to do nothing.  Keep it in a low-humidity environment (40% or less), and it will be fine.  No oil, no wax, no nothing.  Guys get the urge to do stuff to helmets like this, and end up destroying what value is left. 

Agree..less is best. It survived this long with no special care and now it will be better taken care of.

2 hours ago, ArchangelDM said:

Doyler is correct, it’s the Italian Flaming bomb. 

What time frame would Italy have used this in? I'm guessing 1950's?

Strange how its so rusted out but the insignia is still in decent shape.  On Doyler's example the paint is intact on the shell yet his insignia is more faded then the rusted out Original Post.  Any ideas about this? Just an observation. 

Z

The insignia on mine is in a swath of green paint that has not rusted as much as other parts of the helmet. That is a nice helmet that doyler has. I have to look for a liner. 

Burning Hazard

I used to own one as well, still kicking myself for letting it go haha.

I'm yet to find a period photo of one in wear, I saw footage of US troops occupying Italy as late as 1949 so it is possible that for a brief time the M1 was used by Italians before they reverted back to the M33.

Another example here:

is it possible these were used by italian military during WW2? Like by the half of italy that was under allied control. I know a lot of french divisions were armed in US gear in the latter half of WW2, but do not know if any similar italian formations existed. 

Hunt

18 hours ago, USMC_ROB said:

What time frame would Italy have used this in? I'm guessing 1950's?

Their military police force still use the flaming bomb today on there uniforms - nice looking helmet congrats 

57 minutes ago, huntssurplus said:

is it possible these were used by italian military during WW2? Like by the half of italy that was under allied control. I know a lot of french divisions were armed in US gear in the latter half of WW2, but do not know if any similar italian formations existed. 

Hunt

I was wondering this myself, it would be really cool if it is so.