VN 123rd Avn Bn Pocket Patch?

MilitaryPicker1941

MilitaryPicker1941

Hi everyone,

I recently got this patch that came from the estate of an 11th LIB veteran. This is my first time ever seeing this one and I wanted to get some opinions on the ID. While doing research I couldn’t find any other examples of this patch. I did find that the 123rd’s commander was Lt. Colonel John L Holladay which is why I’m guessing it’s from this unit. Any help on this patch is greatly appreciated

Thanks for looking,

Noah

D0BE212C-8B1A-42B7-B52E-6EB707238E08.jpeg

vintageproductions

I have handled literally 1000's of original Vietnam pocket patches.

I have never seen this one before.

It is killer.

MilitaryPicker1941
3 hours ago, vintageproductions said:

I have handled literally 1000's of original Vietnam pocket patches.

I have never seen this one before.

It is killer.

Glad you like it! As soon as I saw the patch I knew I had to pick it up

Novelty patches  like this rarely show up. But I wonder where the ace of spades come in? I have not seen it associated with the 123rd before. 

IH

The Doc Holladay is kind of unique identification. There was  John E. "Doc" Holladay who served in the 9th Avn Bn in 68-69 and then 1st Avn in 71-72. The 123rd Avn Bn was deactivated in November 1971 so the 71-72 id is a little incongruent. My thought is that there is more to this.

IH

Actually, other than finding that a Holladay was a 123rd Avn Bn Commander, there nothing on the patch indicating it is linked to an aviation unit of any kind....

IH

MilitaryPicker1941
2 hours ago, itshistory said:

Actually, other than finding that a Holladay was a 123rd Avn Bn Commander, there nothing on the patch indicating it is linked to an aviation unit of any kind....

IH

The veteran was in the 11th LIB so I thought it might have a 23rd division connection, but like you mentioned the 23rd left Vietnam at the end of 1971. The vets name is Robert “Bobby” Adams, but I haven’t been able to find any info about him online. 

Appreciate the feedback!

Noah

I would start looking at other branches, infantry, artillery or the combat support elements. The Ace of Spades was used as the "death card" mostly by ground combat forces. You can see if any other Holladay was elsewhere in the Brigade. The VHPA indicates there were four known Holladays who were associated with aviation in Vietnam. The Doc mentioned, a John L. Holladay and two others. Only the one mentioned is identified by times in country and units. The other three have no service information with them. The John L. could  have been a 123rd commander but it is not known when, yet....

IH

MilitaryPicker1941

Just got the soldiers DD-214 from the seller. Looks like he was in VN until the end of January 1972.

D3009CEA-2661-469E-92A4-F600DFF9C0F4.jpeg

Well, his date in country corresponds to the date shown on the patch. It obviously meant something to him, but what? Still more to find to make a positive connection but I'll bet it's somewhere. He was there over a year and a half spanning both 71 and 72. An exposure to the 123rd Aviation Battalion seems very likely.

IH