Amount of eyelets on Jump Boots, M1948 Combat Boots, and post war

huntssurplus

Here’s a question that’s been knocking around in my head for a little bit.

An easy way to discern between WW2 Jump Boots and M1948 Combat Boots is the amount of eyelets on said boot. Jump boots having 12 eyelets, and M1948 boots have 11. I’m curious if these varied at all depending on size. I’ve heard that jump boots ranged from 11-13. But not sure if that is true, AnS not sure if M1948 ranged either.

Also how many eyelets are on post war boots? I’m pretty sure the M1948 was replaced by black dyed boots, so it’s a lot easier to distinguish between post and pre late 1950s boots. But I’m still wondering how many eyelets were on the boots that overtook the M1948.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a pair of each. Sold the M48s. There is also the additional diagonal stitching fastening a piece of webbing on each side of the upper quarter from the heal up to the laces. This was for additional support.

I was assuming you were asking ways to differentiate between the jump boots and the M48s?

The stitching mentioned above is on both sides of the jump boots. The M48s did not have this.

Also, to answer your size question, these boots are tiny - like small women or even kids size and they still have 12 eyelets. I will say these are not marked but are brown and old. ;)

Dave

2.jpg

thumbnail3.jpg

Thanks for the post Dave! That's a helpful tip! 

As for the eyelet question, thanks for the input on the Jump Boots. Still wondering about the M1948 boots. That was my main other question! 

Thanks again!
Hunt

Are you thinking of the McNamara boots? those came out around 1962. They were all black leather with full sole and squared heel like the Brown combat M48 the issue boots had 9 eyelets I recall. Keep in mnd there also were compaies that produced various boots that could be purchaced Carolina, Mason, Red Wing etc. and could be worn as well. I had a couple pair as a kid in the 70s from Carolina that were "jump boots" but had the full sole and style of the M48 boot. 

Are you thinking of the McNamara boots? those came out around 1962. They were all black leather with full sole and squared heel like the Brown combat M48 the issue boots had 9 eyelets I recall. Keep in mnd there also were compaies that produced various boots that could be purchaced Carolina, Mason, Red Wing etc. and could be worn as well. I had a couple pair as a kid in the 70s from Carolina that were "jump boots" but had the full sole and style of the M48 boot. 

Those are what I’m thinking of I think. Did they ever come in a regular brown color?

And to rephrase my other question, did all jump boots and m1948 boots always have 12 and 11 eyelets respectively? No matter the size?

Thanks!

Hunt,

Sorry I was unclear. Your question was the actual point of my post but maybe I misunderstood. The M48s I had featured the specified 11 eyelets and were a "common" size of 9.5 or 10. Now, the jump boots I currently have are a much, much smaller size and yet still have the full 12 eyelets. If any jump boots ever had fewer than the specified 12 eyelets it would be this pair as they are a very small size. Yet they are an unmarked pair so not sure who made them.

This is completely anecdotal, I know, but it appears to support the number of eyelets spec'd regardless of boot size. So we see very small jump boots having the full 12 eyelets but the uncovered question would be if M48s in a larger size would add a twelfth eyelet? Would seriously doubt it.

It that what you are asking?

If they are brown, have 12 eyelets, and the diagonal support strap stitching, they are jump boots. If they are brown, have 11 eyelets, and no diagonal stitching they are M48s. I would be confident with this differentiation 99.9% of the time and it takes the focus completely off the distracting soles and beveled heal blocks - both of which were commonly replaced.

Am I missing the point?

Dave

Hunt,
Sorry I was unclear. Your question was the actual point of my post but maybe I misunderstood. The M48s I had featured the specified 11 eyelets and were a "common" size of 9.5 or 10. Now, the jump boots I currently have are a much, much smaller size and yet still have the full 12 eyelets. If any jump boots ever had fewer than the specified 12 eyelets it would be this pair as they are a very small size. Yet they are an unmarked pair so not sure who made them.
This is completely anecdotal, I know, but it appears to support the number of eyelets spec'd regardless of boot size. So we see very small jump boots having the full 12 eyelets but the uncovered question would be if M48s in a larger size would add a twelfth eyelet? Would seriously doubt it.
It that what you are asking?
If they are brown, have 12 eyelets, and the diagonal support strap stitching, they are jump boots. If they are brown, have 11 eyelets, and no diagonal stitching they are M48s. I would be confident with this differentiation 99.9% of the time and it takes the focus completely off the distracting soles and beveled heal blocks - both of which were commonly replaced.
Am I missing the point?

Dave

Nope, Dave, that’s the answer I was looking for! Thanks!

Just to repeat what you said so I know it’s clear:
Jump boots: 12 eyelets regardless of size
M1948 boots: 11 eyelets regardless of size

That’s what I was looking for!
Thanks a bunch!
Hunt

Anecdotally, yes. It's what has never been untrue in my experience.

The most important distinction would be the diagonal stitching for the internal reinforcement. I don't believe they were ever made for the paratroopers without that. Even later black jump boots have that.

Dave

My experience echoes Daves.. with the pairs of jump boiots I have seen in veterans hands as well as owned thjey have always had 12 eyelets that followed spec when a issue boot or the Corocorans. the M48 had 11.