US AIR FORCE badge

Hi everyone,

i recentely bought this nice US AIR FORCE 4 pocket BDU shirt wooden camo, of a technical sergeant with non name badge but with a small badge on left chest wich i didn't find any explication on the net.

May you tell me what's about?

Thanks

IMG_3146_Light.jpg

IMG_3147_Light.jpg

IMG_9567_Light.jpg

IMG_9568_Light.jpg

They are called AF Occupational Badges. Yours is actually a GROUND RADAR AIRFIELD SYSTEMS, SENIOR. Aircraft Maintenance has the eagle clutching a bomb and generic aircraft shape, pic attached below. Wore one for 26 years. Basic had no star, and master had a wreath (also irreverently known as a toilet seat) around the star. Master could only be worn by E-7 and up. Your uniform is pre-1991 judging by the patches.

Randy

maint badge.jpg

MSgt USAF (Ret)

Hi Randy,

thanks so much! 🙂

Do i understand well that BASIC level had no star; SENIOR level had the star and MASTER level had the star surrounded by a wreath.

Does is it correct?

Thanks and kind regards

Yes, you got it. In the USAF, they have skill levels for the enlisted occupations. Without going into too much detail, generally the badge you have depends on your skill level and/or rank. Not sure if they changed it since I was in, but the basic was awarded at 5 level, senior at 7, and master when you made E-7. Originally the master was when you reached 9 level, for only E-8/E-9. But they changed that sometime in the 90s. Hope this helps.

Randy

MSgt USAF (Ret)

2 hours ago, Randy said:

Yes, you got it. In the USAF, they have skill levels for the enlisted occupations. Without going into too much detail, generally the badge you have depends on your skill level and/or rank. Not sure if they changed it since I was in, but the basic was awarded at 5 level, senior at 7, and master when you made E-7. Originally the master was when you reached 9 level, for only E-8/E-9. But they changed that sometime in the 90s. Hope this helps.

Randy

Thanks!