1949 Type Silver Lifesaving Questions

jmar

Hello to all and Happy New Year!

I hope you and yours are all well, happy and healthy.

A few questions for fellow members experienced with the Silver Lifesaving Medal. I truly appreciate these gorgeous medals (both in gold and silver), but then again I’ve always had champagne taste on a beer budget..ha!

I am pleased to have acquired this hefty example shown first in this thread, a 1949 Type. (Evans Kerrigan, Plate 9 & 10, The Sea Shall Not Have Them) Loose stitching on reverse seems to be typical as show in the plates mentioned above? Full wrap silver brooch with ball clasp. A display piece, correctly engraved on reverse, Ribbon drape a bit faded on obverse, better on reverse. Holes on ribbon drape, perhaps at one time had a second award clasp for display?

Now the real weird part, and an interesting addendum. Somewhere and sometime long ago, I acquired in a mixed lot the second example shown in light-weight silver coated plastic. Engraved “Display” on the reverse in a VERY similar font as the original piece shown first. Wish it had the drape, but this is how it came to me.

The big question here is has anyone run into these plastic “Display” planchets? Were they officially issued for display? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Best wishes to you all,

Joe

1949 Silver Lifesaving Medal:

Lifesaving001LO.jpg

Lifesaving002LO.jpg

• 1 year later...

I’ve never seen that before Joe. I suspect the font and style was standard at the time so someone may have made a plastic display piece using an original as the wax casting? Or it was manufactured specifically to be a display item for Veteran organizations by the gov’t possibly. Is the SLM the only medal you’ve encountered this plastic type badge with?