Hello from Canada

delican_38

Good morning, everyone,

Seeing that I’m new here, I thought I’d introduce myself. My name is Andrew and I’m a military surplus firearms/militaria collector from Canada. I’ve been collecting for about 8 years now; however, my interest in US militaria really began about 2 years ago, when I acquired an M1 Garand. Since then my interest has certainly grown and I’m now trying to track down US militaria on a regular basis. I look forward to being a member here, thanks for having me.

-Andrew 

Welcome aboard, eh! I got a big hand from fellow collectors and WWI researchers “up there” when researching and acquiring some things related to my Great Grandfathers service in the 133rd C.E.F. Overseas Battalion and then his time spent at the front with 19th C.E.F. Battalion, were he was severely wounded at the Battle of Fresnoy Wood.  So if I can help you out info wise, let me know!                                    Semper Fi, Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome. I'm pretty new here myself. I collect mostly ordnance. The wife calls my man cave, "The Bunker."

So being in Canada, what are the rules for rifle ownership? If I remember correctly, you can't have handguns. What all can you have up there? And just out of curiosity... how the heck do you find ammo???

And a quick story... I grew up next to a military training area (Camp Grayling) in Michigan. We would see Canadian forces train there once in a while. I guess it was a closer artillery range than anything they had up North. We would have fun BS'ing with those troops.  We were able to be very close as they fired live mortar rounds. We were out there shooting and had a bunch of guns with us (AR's, AK's, pistols, etc..) and they loved seeing my buddy's Smith & Wesson stainless 44mag... several took pics posing with it.  And the Canadian IMP's (MRE's) were good. Gotta love our brothers and sisters to the North!

-Aaron

On 1/12/2021 at 9:49 AM, BILL THE PATCH said:

Welcome Andrew, I'm just under the border from you in ny state.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Thanks for the warm welcome, I've always wanted to visit NY.

On 1/13/2021 at 9:22 PM, USMC_ROB said:

Welcome aboard, eh! I got a big hand from fellow collectors and WWI researchers “up there” when researching and acquiring some things related to my Great Grandfathers service in the 133rd C.E.F. Overseas Battalion and then his time spent at the front with 19th C.E.F. Battalion, were he was severely wounded at the Battle of Fresnoy Wood.  So if I can help you out info wise, let me know!                                    Semper Fi, Rob

Thanks for the welcome, Rob, it's always nice to hear stories about these sorts of connections! I'm sure I'll be taking you up on your offer as time goes on.

On 1/23/2021 at 5:29 PM, SubgunFun said:

Welcome. I'm pretty new here myself. I collect mostly ordnance. The wife calls my man cave, "The Bunker."

So being in Canada, what are the rules for rifle ownership? If I remember correctly, you can't have handguns. What all can you have up there? And just out of curiosity... how the heck do you find ammo???

And a quick story... I grew up next to a military training area (Camp Grayling) in Michigan. We would see Canadian forces train there once in a while. I guess it was a closer artillery range than anything they had up North. We would have fun BS'ing with those troops.  We were able to be very close as they fired live mortar rounds. We were out there shooting and had a bunch of guns with us (AR's, AK's, pistols, etc..) and they loved seeing my buddy's Smith & Wesson stainless 44mag... several took pics posing with it.  And the Canadian IMP's (MRE's) were good. Gotta love our brothers and sisters to the North!

-Aaron

Thanks for the welcome, Aaron, sounds like you've had more experiences interacting with our nation's forces than most Canadians have. I always enjoy hearing these sorts of stories, as they're fascinating pieces of history (in my opinion). 

As for gun ownership here, one can generally own most permitted long guns by having a federally-regulated firearms license, which is obtained via an application process that includes in-class instruction and a rigorous background check procedure. In terms of permitted long guns, we can generally own most bolt action rifles (depending on the caliber), certain semi autos (including the M1 Garand, thankfully), and most non-automatic shotguns. Full auto firearms cannot be owned by the average citizen here, nor can anything that is a converted (to semi-auto) auto, a part of the AR15 family, or comes from the AK family of firearms (with one exception - the Valmet), just to give you a few examples. We are certainly not without other restrictions here, as a firearms owner must possess an extra license called a "restricted" license in order to possess handguns and shorter rifles (like the M1 Carbine). Handguns are restricted by barrel length and caliber as well, as the average person cannot own a handgun with a barrel less than approximately 4.25" or one that is chambered in .32acp. I could certainly keep going here, but I'd suspect that you might be able to get the general picture of Canadian firearm ownership here. If might be of interest to look up the list of prohibited firearms in Canada, to compare to what you folks can own. Ammo is thankfully still available right now, but the prices are going up with each new shipment. There's a number of major importers here for ammo, along with a couple of companies that produce ammunition for the Canadian market. On a side note, I've always enjoyed by time in the USA and have met several good friends from down there.

-Andrew

Very interesting. Thanks for the great reply. It boggles my mind with all your restrictions but I'd say it's actually better than I thought it was. It's just a shame these fun hobbies cost so much! 

-Aaron