Series of 6 photographs depicting a collaborator woman getting her head shaved

Jakeman664

Hope this is the right spot for these. I picked these up in an auction lot of various items. Not marked where they were taken but had 2 handkerchiefs from Paris so possibly France. Someone crossed out the name and serial on the back (looks fairly recent) Luckily can still read through it. But unfortunately the serial didn't get any hits on the AAD Archives and I can't read the last name as he has quite the cursive script. 

C1.png

C2.png

C3.png

C4.png

C5.png

C6.png

IMG_0006.jpg

Hello, 

Those photographs would've belonged to Merle Clair Klingensmith.  Information follows.

Source:  Ancestry.com

k2.jpg

k2a.jpg

Well, Matt you have amazed me yet again with your propensity for accurate hits !! Either you possess numerous 'super computers', & or are extremely diligent & determined in your research, or perhaps both !!

Best,    Dom P. / dpast32

14 hours ago, dpast32 said:

Well, Matt you have amazed me yet again with your propensity for accurate hits !! Either you possess numerous 'super computers', & or are extremely diligent & determined in your research, or perhaps both !!

Best,    Dom P. / dpast32

Hi Dom,

Thanks Dom.  Actually I got kind of lucky because I thought the last name looked like Klindersmith at first to me but when I went into Find-A-Grave with a search, I wasn't able to find anyone.  I decided to refine the search and put a checkmark in "Similar Name Spellings" and low and behold I got some hits.  I picked the one most likely to have been in WWII and went from there and evidently got the right guy.  Had he not been from Pennsylvania and had that Application for WWII Compensation which showed his service number I wouldn't have been able to confirm it was the correct person because that service number was nowhere else to be found.  Sometimes you just have a good day and things work out good for you.  Take care...Matt

Hello Matt, 

Thank you so much, would have never been able to figure that one out. My cursive reading is so bad I thought the last name had 2 t's in it! Going off other records the Klingensmith clan had quite a lot of sign ups. Must of had a lot of relatives in Westmoreland! 

20 hours ago, Linedoggie said:

Always amazed how brave the mob were on unarmed women, too bad they didnt use some of that on the Germans

Whenever I see pictures or videos like this I always think the guys doing the shaving probably collaborated more than the women they are shaving.

4 hours ago, Jakeman664 said:

Hello Matt, 

Thank you so much, would have never been able to figure that one out. My cursive reading is so bad I thought the last name had 2 t's in it! Going off other records the Klingensmith clan had quite a lot of sign ups. Must of had a lot of relatives in Westmoreland! 

You're welcome.  Glad I could help.

By the way, the unit that he was in which shows abbreviated as 234th Ord SV PLAT BD stands for 234th Ordnance Service Platoon (Bomb Disposal) and I saw where they had campaign credit for Ardennes and Central Europe but there may be others as well.  

Also found this.

a1.jpg