Right arm PhM3c?

PatLaabs

I initially started collecting militaria about 10 years ago but only got into Navy rating patches in the last year. I've learned alot of things from the fine people here on this forum and now I need your help with one of my patches. I've picked up a 1939 dated white Pharmacists Mate 3rd class rating. But, it's a right arm patch. From my understanding only Seaman branch ratings were right arm and this would have been considered a "Special" branch rating. I'm not sure what to think of it or whether it's legit, a fake, or a mistake. Any ideas? PhM2c is there for reference. Being in the Navy myself, especially as a Corpsman, I feel I should know more about this but I've run up against a wall.

20210111_091631.jpg

20210111_091639.jpg

Congratulations on joining the obscure world of US Navy rating badge collecting. The right facing rate with contract year looks fine and being right facing is correct for that contract year.

From at least 1905 to May 1941 all rates were right facing. If I recall there were some left arm before that, but would need to consult my reference books as I don’t collect the earlier patterns.

You are confusing the period from 1941 through 1948 when only seaman branch were right facing. After the 1948 change, all were left facing.

ASMIC offers an excellent book on Navy Rates and Distinguishing Marks by John Stacey I would recommend. It will save you a great deal of time and money in your collecting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, David Minton said:

Congratulations on joining the obscure world of US Navy rating badge collecting. The right facing rate with contract year looks fine and being right facing is correct for that contract year.

From at least 1905 to May 1941 all rates were right facing. If I recall there were some left arm before that, but would need to consult my reference books as I don’t collect the earlier patterns.

You are confusing the period from 1941 through 1948 when only seaman branch were right facing. After the 1948 change, all were left facing.

ASMIC offers an excellent book on Navy Rates and Distinguishing Marks by John Stacey I would recommend. It will save you a great deal of time and money in your collecting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for clearing up my misconceptions, I appreciate it. I thought there was only 1 period of time where they were right facing and only for certain ones.

A gentleman I met at a surplus store also recommended that book to me too. Just need to get around to ordering it lol. Thanks again!