Japanese Surrender Ceremonies to the Marines 6th Division on October 25, 1945? WHAT?

ajbUSWM

I have seen many of the "I attended" documents but I have not seen one 1 month and 23 days AFTER the formal Japanese surrender on September 2, 1945. 

Anyone seen similar late surrenders?  Later surrenders?

By the way, the Japanese surrendered to Marine 6th Division General Lemuel Shepard, Jr and future Commandant.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Japanese Surrender at Tsingtao, China to Marine General Lemuel Shepaard, Jr. of 6th Division October 25 1945.jpg

One site mentions little pockets of Japanese holdouts surrendering on and after December 1, 1945 (2 months and 27 days) ... but when was the last formal Japanese surrender ceremony ?   Was Tsingtao China one of the last?:  Perhaps the last?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the areas occupied by the Japanese was so large that it took a while for Allied forces to reach them all to accept formal surrenders.   In some places, where there wasn't any organized local forces to surrender to, Japanese were kept in control for quite a while.  This may be the case with your document?  

Mikie

I believe the October date was based upon the Marines scheduled arrival time, it took time to move the 6th Mar Div,  and discussions with the Japanese and Chinese the on the surrender details. 

Makes sense ... I cannot find a later formal surrender so this must be one of the last ... which makes it unique... both in timing and location.

Thanks.