M9A1 bazooka and general demil questions

Papas-Toybox

I have a chance to pick up a US M9A1 Bazooka complete with carrying strap, sight, both halves, and the seller is searching for the mask and training round he believes he still has.

My biggest question is what do I need to look for to ensure that the bazooka was demilled correctly and I don't get into deep shinola sometime in the future?

I searched the ATF pages but could find nothing on their pages. would like some direction to documents also that I could print out to keep with the gun.

Thanks,

If I’m not mistaken, it’s a bore diameter or larger hole in the side of the tube or a bar welded through the bore. Others will chime in if it’s both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaptainssurplus

Just be careful with M9s, because there are numerous fakes and replicas out there, some are very well made. I have seen many people post their newly acquired M9 thinking it's real only to be sorely disappointed it is not. 

If it's a real one it should have the demill already done, which is a hole the size of the bore (or larger) cut into the rear section, then a pin welded in place at the rear as well to stop a round from being loaded. Usually at the very rear end of the tube. Other bazookas I have seen even went as far as putting a plate over the rear hole with a pin as well in the tube and an extra hole in the front section of tube. 

18 minutes ago, Austringer said:

If not demilled, form 1 it.

Sorry, not familiar with form 1. Just a regular surplus collector / dealer without any type of ffl. 

Thanks.

On 1/10/2021 at 1:49 PM, Kaptainssurplus said:

Just be careful with M9s, because there are numerous fakes and replicas out there, some are very well made. I have seen many people post their newly acquired M9 thinking it's real only to be sorely disappointed it is not. 

If it's a real one it should have the demill already done, which is a hole the size of the bore (or larger) cut into the rear section, then a pin welded in place at the rear as well to stop a round from being loaded. Usually at the very rear end of the tube. Other bazookas I have seen even went as far as putting a plate over the rear hole with a pin as well in the tube and an extra hole in the front section of tube. 

What are some of the points I need to look for to tell whether it's real of repo? Thanks.

IIRC, weight is one factor. Originals are heavy and the stampings on rear tube. Mine was a GE, we laughed as the GE ads at the time was,”GE, we bring good things the light”

Here’s a pic from a re enactment in the early 90’s.

0A94D39E-0393-414E-9653-7EE8234E1B0C.jpeg

IIRC, weight is one factor. Originals are heavy and the stampings on rear tube. Mine was a GE, we laughed as the GE ads at the time was,”GE, we bring good things the light”

That is the $5000 question. Have been told it is demilled, but I want to make sure my understanding of demilled is legally the correct one. 

If its not demilled correctly and it is a real M9A1, what can I do so I can obtain it.

Can see a patch on one tube.  I cut to lenght and cut long ways 2 pieces of EMT that fit inside mine, mig welded in place, bondo on outside, sanded to OD. Torch cut ground clean, aligned tube, mig welded straight, new wire wrapped, coat of paint, good to go.  A 2.36 round would not fit completely in tube. Used home made “ bottle rockets” with small black powder charge for re enactments, the Germans hated it, lol.

Kaptainssurplus
1 hour ago, Papas-Toybox said:

That is the $5000 question. Have been told it is demilled, but I want to make sure my understanding of demilled is legally the correct one. 

If its not demilled correctly and it is a real M9A1, what can I do so I can obtain it.

Hopefully your not going to pay 5k for it, there has been a few that sold lately for much less. I think one got 2500 and the other 3. 

Hopefully your not going to pay 5k for it, there has been a few that sold lately for much less. I think one got 2500 and the other 3. 

For live papered ones? Mine was about 5k all said and done. Recently.

Holy Cow, $5K or half that!!!!!! is crazy price. Post other pics of it, pretty easy to tell whats been done in the demil. Just be sure a round can not fit in tube. I seriously doubt there are any/ many live functional rounds around. 2.36 rounds are pretty hard to find now.

Kaptainssurplus
2 hours ago, Papas-Toybox said:

Nowhere near that much. Just guessing that's the difference in value between a live and a demilled one. 

Oh yeah, live ones are more expensive. I was talking demilled ones. 

38 minutes ago, Lsparks said:

For live papered ones? Mine was about 5k all said and done. Recently.

Yes live NFA ones are that much. I was talking demilled. 

Yea, live ones are expensive, guy I know has one along with lots of other ord. Have not looked to see what dewats are going for lately. Guess like everything else, they’ve gone way up?

Holy Cow, $5K or half that!!!!!! is crazy price. Post other pics of it, pretty easy to tell whats been done in the demil. Just be sure a round can not fit in tube. I seriously doubt there are any/ many live functional rounds around. 2.36 rounds are pretty hard to find now.

Trainers are around. If you can find decent ones below $100, scoop them up. Most of them are over that...

I’ve never seen or heard of shootable/live rounds. Ever.

IIRC, had good ones to put in rocket bag. Cardboard tubes were impossible to find back then. Sold everything to a friend that was in the Army. Thing was heavy and clunky. Another friend has/ had M-1 that he displayed over his fireplace, lol.

US Victory Museum

Sometime back in the late 1990s, I bought a Title II (Live) M9A1 Rocket launcher.   I recall

paying around $ 1,700.00 for it at that time.   It was manufactured by General Electric. 

I bought it, as well as a number of machine guns, from the Stembridge liquidation.

Back in 2008 I made a post about it which can be found here (link enclosed)

If your rocket launcher has been demilitarized, then there will be a hole the size of the

bore cut through the side of the rear portion, and a cross pin welded through the front

portion.  If it is intact, and real, then the guy selling it is likely an ATF agent trolling for

his quota of "white nationalists" (whatever those are); and you're likely going to make

the national news.   RUN, FOREST, RUN!