US Army APH-5A - 1967

Vark_07

Greetings everyone !
Let me introduce you my latest acquisition and first try in the helicopter helmet arena, a US Army Vietnam-era APH-5A in excellent used condition.

1-1.jpg.1a411db77509d7b2137d75dc2280582a.jpg

This Large-size shell was manufactured by GENTEX in May 1967 (see label below ) and therefore features many characteristics of the late APH-5A versions :

• factory-painted OD shell,
  • black rubber edgeroll,
  • padded chin and nape straps,
  • a full plastic visor (without the early models' side tracks / edge beading) enclosed in an OD-tinted plastic visor housing with nylon tracks,
  • a Navy-type green knob.

1743262646_label(Personnalis).jpg.b02c3ae66dec3a9ec462607e9cf1fd47.jpg

It came with the iconic "banana" boom microphone mounted on the left side.

2-2.jpg.375daf201e97b9bf0f7ea481f8005356.jpg

1373038236_back1(Personnalis).jpg.d0c2e65bb873f0bbb9406ac8de1267ac.jpg

This helmet shows a lot of superficial wear, mostly scratches especially on its back, giving it a nice used touch. The visor looks very good and slides perfectly.

No visible identification about the aviator nor the unit he served in, just the remains of what I think was an embossed Dymo label on the back bottom (see below).

This patina, added to a noticeable OD shade variation between the visor housing's shiny plastic and the shell's matte paint, made it an instant crush given its condition.

1604474853_bottom(Small).jpg.1a3215a0c1b8747f050b4a80762d14c1.jpg

Remains of the back label.

1505695666_knob2(Mini).jpg.fa3b36d3baefbe765787482783686634.jpg

1244315387_track(Small)(Mini).jpg.7d0412b9cfd85d42b621c39393a047d6.jpg
UP : Note the grey tinted nylon visor tracks (that were often white on Army APH-5s) and the only impact present on the shell.
DOWN : Markings inside of the visor housing (GENTEX Corp. - Large).

1753488142_3(1)(Medium).jpg.26c31c19446f1eee706cf6bdf74686a9.jpg

Taking a look at the inside, we can see the regular APH-5 three-part styrene absorbing liner (just one missing chunk on the boom side).

Note in the picture below the 3 thin leather-covered foam fitting pads that reminds more of the APH-6C/D's than the regular thicker pads of the APH-5.

984324084_inside(Personnalis).jpg.04e562f65dbc2b48d6d84c68cb4aa199.jpg

825002480_inside1(Small)-.jpg.8f2ce754c00b79db9a307840e2e3079a.jpg
Earphones in "deployed" position.

straps.jpg.b581edf3bf328e54dea7b6189fc9ac82.jpg

Padded chin and nape straps.

earphone.jpg.9b49d909ab8d3611aea6a4346131c4c4.jpg

The communication hookup is complete in very good condition, with spring-loaded MX-2088/U cushioned earphones fixed with the external "strings & stud" HGU-2 type assembly, all the comm cords and ports / plugs present, and a M-33A/AIC "banana" boom microphone fixed on a MT-1627/AIC bracket.

1562103081_mic(Small).jpg.871ed30a0383b9186bbd53047356a41e.jpg

1194017486_bracket(Small)-.jpg.c63aa44f4c7beafc08c57d899240be42.jpg

1090988436_comm(Small)-.jpg.cf12f1f3604e998d5e5fc2b5098a8e1a.jpg

1796654267_tresse(Small).jpg.25c06790a60b3d215228d4568c4a8865.jpg
The aviator braided the retention strings !

This example is surely not as colorful as its USAF, USN or USMC airplanes-flown counterparts ; nevertheless, I found it so iconic of the US aeronautical history that I gave it a shot, and I have to say I don't regret this addition to my helmet collection. No wonder I'd get a USN SPH-3 to go with it someday.

Any comment or additional information is, as always, gladly welcome !

Hope you enjoyed the share ;).
Cheers ! -Vark_07

1-2.jpg.67a66fb4e0cb7559e0fc8e342a25fe56.jpg

Nice example. The ear cups are usually in bad shape. Now you need the ballistic version (AFH-1) to go with it. These can be found in good condition as they were not liked for their weight. Popular with door gunners though.

Nice piece, looks similar to the one I have from my father that he used, but his was a 1968 Sierra make.   As you noted, the fitting pads are not like the usual Army APH pads, I cant say Ive ever seen them with exposed foam on the sides similar to later pressure sensitive pads used on the HGU-2/22/26 and even AFH-1 helmets,  yet the shape of these pads are similar to the usual APH style.  Wonder if someone reproduced some to look similar but with more recent foam that wasnt deteriorated.   Id bet the comms on that still work great, Ive tested my fathers out and they are still clear as crystal sounding.  He updated his helmet around 1971 at Ft Eustis to have the SPH-4 or AFH-1 style boom assembly with the grey M-87 mic, but he still has the original M-33 black banana mic too and both tested working when i tried them.   He had also used the APH-5 in Vietnam from May 69 to about Nov 69, then he got a brand new SPH-4 for the remainder or his time in country.  Alot of people will say the Army APH-5s, especially the later OD green ones are boring and no frills helmet, and not for their collections but at the time in the 60s, the Army APH helmets were basically like the current day HGU-56,  the standard in rotary wing helmets, just as the SPH-4 was for a number of years.  Collectors should at least have 1 in their collection.  Id like to one day have each variant of APH used by the Army such as the early Pea Green APH-5A,  standard white APH-5 etc.  Already have the late 60s style from my old man.

Thanks for the comments gentlemen ;).

20 hours ago, mohawkALSE said:

I cant say Ive ever seen them with exposed foam on the sides [...] Wonder if someone reproduced some to look similar but with more recent foam that wasnt deteriorated.

I've definitely seen this type of foam-exposed pads during my APH-5 searches, all fitted on late version shells.
A few examples below ; I could search for more, but you get the idea : these do not appear to be that rare after all.
example 1 (GENTEX)

example 2 (Sierra, with stained foam)

example 3 (GENTEX with mixed pad types)

In any case, given the permanent distortion of the foam on many places, the dust embedded in it, and the perspiration stainings of the leather, I can tell the pads on my example have seen some serious use. With the previously shown examples, I'm pretty confident these are the genuine stuff.

19 hours ago, mohawkALSE said:

Collectors should at least have 1 in their collection

That's actually what I thought when I added it to my cart ! Owning one of those iconic pieces of chopper crews' headgear of the 60's / VN era never hurts ; moreover that would make sense for the F.M.J. / Platoon / Apocalypse Now lover I am.

Now I don't think I'm gonna collect all of the helicopter helmets models (for instance AFH-1 -sorry 72psb !- which indeed isn't hard to find, yet too much similar to the APH-5A), but I'm definitely eager to find other iconic pieces, like a nicely taped Navy SPH-3, and perhaps an Army SPH-4 someday.

The 2d example shown in the links isnt an APH-5, its an AFH-1 so that is certainly the correct pad there.  Note the new style boom and mic, which is like what my father installed on his APH-5 since those were available in the supply system by 1971, M-33 was out, and note the CX-4708 headset cable that comes from the side with small grommet and exposed plug,  has no leather cover over the mic plug, or the fat grommet in rear where the headset ICS cord comes from on the APH-5.  

Every brand new APH-5 fitting pad Ive seen new in the plastic, both from Gentex and Sierra both thick and thin had covered sides, no exposed foam layers.  Now where was some labeled as Xtra Thin, and possibly those were this style?  Haven't actually seen one out of the package to tell and these do appear very thin labels. They might have even fabricated fitting pads in the life support shops over time.   Its interesting though, Im assuming you bought that helmet in Europe, and then 2 of the examples of APH you showed were also from the European seller, so maybe one of the bases in Germany had fabricated them.  Never know for sure til I see one of those Xtra Thin pads taken from a new package to prove or disprove that.  I need to put some new pads in 1 of the helmets I have since they deteriorate so badly over time.

The APH-5 and AFH-1 really arent too similar.  They are confused by many very often, but if you place them next to each other you will see the differences easy. The shell is even a different shape, the AFH sort of has a domed out sides being semi SPH-4 looking.  They clearly have updated comms setups, more HGU style at that time.  Cant recall which helmet weights more.   Never understood why every NOS AFH helmet Ive seen comes default with a clear visor.  Always need to find a neutral grey one if you want one on the side.   Most times finding a NOS helmet, it will have a Neutral visor installed and come with a spare clear one in the sock, but these AFH-1 helmets always seem to have a clear installed and no extra visor at all.

Attaching a pic of my 1968 contract AFH-1.  Can see if you look at the outside Left and Right of the shell, it domes out a little where the APH-5 shell doesnt.   Also the new mic setup and ICS cord.  This helmet was excellent shape minus the small bit of foam damage to the middle impact liner piece.

AFH1a.jpg

51 minutes ago, mohawkALSE said:

The 2d example shown in the links isnt an APH-5, its an AFH-1 [...]

Its interesting though, Im assuming you bought that helmet in Europe, and then 2 of the examples of APH you showed were also from the European seller, so maybe one of the bases in Germany had fabricated them.

My bad on the 2nd example, it was sold as an APH-5 and I didn't double-check before posting (I concur with you on the clear visors statement, most of the AFH-1 I've seen so far were fitted with those).

Talked to him a couple of times in the recent past, and it occurs that the shop's owner buys most of his US helmets directly in the USA during militaria fairs / exhibits, so we can rule the Germany hypothesis out.
However, the "Extra Thin" pads you were talking about could be a matching guess, I searched the web for them and found a sole picture of an unissued bundle including that size, showing what may indeed be exposed foam on the pads' sides (top left, middle left, bottom center, bottom right). Too bad the quality and the blisters do not help being 100% sure.

sierra_01.jpg.83bccf4be42c8a3b997af4618c4fa443.jpg

Back to the 3rd APH-5A example I find noteworthy. It comes from a 1968 OV-1 driver helmet (rigged with christmas tree bayonet receivers / MS-22001) featuring a mixed combination of fitting pads : a thick (or thin) APH-5 front pad, a used / worn out of these smaller pads on the "crown", and a new-looking one on the back position.

My opinion in that case is that this helmet must have been customized at some point to the aviator's liking with the available sizing parts on the base's workshop.

So, even if the Extra Thin pads guess shall remain uncertain, since AFH-1s (and other helmets in the US inventory, like HGU-2, APH-6...) featured these smaller fitting pads on a regular basis at the same period of use as the APH-5s in the US Army, that would also mean that all kinds of fitting pads -whichever the helmet model- were potentially available for custom modifications. Don't you think ?

The pads shown are the formed edge variety.  Look closely, the tan color is the backing wax paper for the adhesive. The problem with them is the foam has collapsed. This gives the pads that sunken look. You could buy them and scrape out the the old foam and replace with new foam. 

4 hours ago, 72psb said:

The pads shown are the formed edge variety.  Look closely, the tan color is the backing wax paper for the adhesive. The problem with them is the foam has collapsed. This gives the pads that sunken look. You could buy them and scrape out the the old foam and replace with new foam. 

Ive noticed that in a lot of pics of the NOS pads, looks like the back falls away from the formed leather portion making the foam look like its exposed on the side.

6 hours ago, Vark_07 said:

Back to the 3rd APH-5A example I find noteworthy. It comes from a 1968 OV-1 driver helmet (rigged with christmas tree bayonet receivers / MS-22001) featuring a mixed combination of fitting pads : a thick (or thin) APH-5 front pad, a used / worn out of these smaller pads on the "crown", and a new-looking one on the back position.

Do you have a link showing that whole helmet as OV-1 related stuff is a specialty of mine?  I find that kinda strange such a late 60s helmet still having the Xmas Tree hardware, but it might not be too far fetched seeing OV-1 related stuff was very mixed bag of Navy and Air Force stuff till the early 70s when they finally went their own way and the Army also had a more standardized ALSE program.  Ive seen early to mid 60s OV-1 helmets have the Xmas Tree hardware, and then Mid 60s and on have regular Sierra bayonet hardware, either the black self adjusts or the later white Cast adjustable type.   O2 hardware wasnt even that common on most APH-5s worn in the OV-1 except for those in the OV-1B operating the SLAR with a high altitude mission profile. The As and Cs did low altitude mission not requiring it.   When the D came out which could perform all the mission types, the SPH-4 was being standardized so those had the O2 mask snaps on the ear cup retention harness is a mask was needed to be worn.

Ahhr, my mistake -again- Mohawk, sorry to rain on your parade but nothing uncommon or strange with this OV-1 set, for it was indeed fitted with the Sierra receivers (painted like they were, I mistook them for Xmas tree)... and it's even written in the description, I have absolutely no excuse 😅...
I hope you'll find it interesting to look at nonetheless.

16 hours ago, 72psb said:

Look closely, the tan color is the backing wax paper for the adhesive. The problem with them is the foam has collapsed. This gives the pads that sunken look.

I didn't know about that wax paper thing, no wonder it confused me. Thank you for you input !

hello, great-looking helmet !!  Just personally speaking  -   never really mad about the helo models, however I've had one through a few years when it was on a mannequinn fashioned in early Vietnam-style with K-2B flight suit that is visible in a number of vintage photos.

Helmet is a APH-5 from 1966.  Mannequinn was completed at last, but never one of my favourite guys within the collection. Here some close-ups:

20210113_103914.jpg.de509605fc7330df69cb117760d57919.jpg

20210113_103126.jpg.b28801dad1acf32ed150ce82a5a99319.jpg

20210113_104017.jpg.eb7308c4da49ae2434599b6a8d464136.jpg